No points despite resilient play for Ballymoney Ladies

Ballymoney First XI had to re-arrange the venue for their match against the Ards to the new Coleraine pitch on Saturday due to their home surface still being unplayable

Their opposition were fighting for every point in their campaign to win the Premier title whilst the Toon team are at the other end of the scale and need all the points they can get to survive in the premier league so it was all to play for.

Ballymoney were the first to win a set piece in this hard fought match but a telling strike could not be found. This seem to stir the Ards girls into action and they constantly attacked the Money half winning themselves five short corners. The first being their only successful one when Emma Stewart hammered home from the top of the circle.

After a stern team talk at half-time the Ballymoney girls came out fighting and put in a much better display, however a few decision that maybe on other days would have been different led to Ballymoney conceding two more goals.

Despite this the girls fought a hard physical game but in the end the roll of the green was against them.

Next Saturday the First XI play Portadown at home in what has to be a win situation so the team would appreciate as many supporters turning out as possible to get behind the team in their battle for survival. The game gets underway at 2.30pm at the Joey Dunlop Centre.

The team would also like to thank Bonds jewellers for their continued support this season.


On Saturday Ballymoney Seconds also had a change of scenery as their home match was moved to Rugby Avenue, Coleraine due to the pitch conditions at their home ground. They were to host the Ulster Elks which on paper was always going to be a very tight match.

Fired up and ready to face the task ahead the Ballymoney ladies started at a great pace, with their play dominant on the left side, continually building attacking play and pressing on the Elks defence.

In response the Ulster Elks dispersed the ball quickly and counter attacked but a well read interception by Lesley Davies again put them on the back foot. Ballymoney worked well as a unit, but converting opportunities in the circle was not merited in the first half in open play or from penalty corners as it remained 0-0 at half time.

With the aim of maintaining the tempo Ballymoney were keen to start the second half fast and hope to take the lead. The forwards worked tirelessly and hunted for the net. Elks were no easy opposition and equally as hungry.

Never the less the Ballymoney girls fought it out to the end and maintained their composure to draw 0-0 with Ulster Elks.

Many thanks to our umpire, coach and sponsors.