THE IRFU (Ulster Branch) has teamed up with the Donnelly Motor Group to provide a platform for rugby clubs in the province to help themselves raise, potentially, over £350,000 for grassroots rugby.
The ‘Your Club Your Country’ initiative will enable the 44 registered rugby clubs in Northern Ireland, including Armoy Rugby Club and Ballymoney Rugby Club, to boost club finances by selling tickets for a competition to name the greatest Ulster team of the professional era.
Humphreys, Pienaar, Ward, Ferris... the competition will no doubt be discussed at length at rugby grounds around the province, as fans try to match the selection of a media panel.
The prizes are truly fantastic with the Donnelly Group kindly donating a new car as first prize and the IRFU putting up a long list of amazing rugby packages and tickets.
Competition tickets (limited to 800 per club) priced £10 will be sold through Armoy Rugby Club and Ballymoney Rugby Club with all proceeds going straight to the club.
Speaking at the launch at Ravenhill, IRFU (Ulster Branch) Domestic Rugby Manager David Boyd said: “By their generous support of this IRFU initiative the Donnelly Group are helping to inject much needed funds directly into 44 rugby clubs in Northern Ireland. I know that I can speak on behalf of the rugby clubs and the IRFU Ulster Branch in thanking them for their support of grassroots rugby.”
Avid rugby fan Raymond Donnelly, Director of the Donnelly Group which is Northern Ireland’s largest independent new and used car dealership, said: “Over the past 65 years, the Donnelly Group has supported local rugby through club sponsorships at locations around our seven showrooms across the Province, including Armoy, Armagh, Ballymena, City of Derry, Dungannon and Enniskillen rugby clubs.
“Indeed we supply cars to countless rugby players, officials and supporters across Northern Ireland. We’re delighted to develop our support further and assist the development of grassroots rugby.
“The winner will have their pick of one of four brand new cars and we hope the choice will be much easier than picking the greatest Ulster team of the professional era!”
“Good luck to everyone that enters and I look forward to discussing the greatest selection with the winner.”
The winner will be announced on Tuesday 15th January 2013.
‘Your Club Your Country’ Prizes are:
1. A brand new car from Donnelly Group, the largest independent car retailer in Northern Ireland. The winner will have a choice of 4 different makes of car.
2. A VIP package for 2 persons including flights, accommodation and match tickets for the Italy v Ireland 2013 6 Nations match at the Olympic Stadium, Rome.
3. A VIP package for 2 persons including flights, accommodation and match tickets for the Scotland v Ireland 2013 6 Nations match at Murrayfield, Edinburgh.
4. A VIP package for 2 persons including flights accommodation and match tickets for the Wales v Ireland 2013 6 Nations match at the Millenium Stadium, Cardiff.
5. A VIP package for 2 persons including pre match lunch, post match reception and match tickets at the Ireland v England 2013 6 Nations match at the Aviva Stadium.