Mudbath at Limepark as Armoy are sunk

Action from Limepark on Saturday.INBM45-13 215JC
Action from Limepark on Saturday.INBM45-13 215JC

ARMOY Rugby Club had to contend with not only the opposition but the terrible weather conditions in this mudbath of a game.

Armoy 1st XV took to a cold wet and very muddy Lime Park on Saturday full of confidence and enthusiasm that an elusive win could be obtained against Belfast High School F.P.

Sadly they once again learned the harsh lesson that optimism and enthusiasm are no substitute for hard work on the training ground.

Although the Armoy forwards could more than hold their own in open play it was in the set pieces they were found wanting and it was here that the disciplined men from Belfast found their oppertunities to put scores on the board.

In the first half they would run in four tries, two of which were converted to which Armoy could only answer with two penalties.

Armoy complained about refereeing decisions.

Armoy fared better in the second half only conceding two tries, one of which was held up but still awarded as a try even though the ref was on the other side of the player and had no vision of the ball.

However for all the resilience Armoy showed they were increasing frustrated by the decisions being given against them and this led to ill discipline which lead to two yellow cards.

In balance it would be more than fair to say that the visitors were well organised and finished their chances when the opportunties were presented to them.

After the match Armoy Captain Gareth Christie reiterated that all players have to attend training on Wednesday nights.

He believes the potential is there in this group of players but this will only be realised once all players start to train together regularly.

Next week the 1st XV travel to Co Cavan to play Virginia which promises to be another tough encounter.

* Elsewhere in local rugby, Coleraine made the long journey to Clogher Valley on Saturday but came away without any league points on a scoreline of 32-8.

In the first half Coleraine enjoyed good possession and were still in the hunt at the break, but when they dropped to 14 men at the start of the second half, Clogher Valley piled on 17 points and secured an unassailable lead. Try as they might, the visitors could not claw back the point difference.

Speaking after the match Coleraine coach Richard Beggs said: “We took the game to Clogher Valley, especially in the first half, but in the end their heavier and more experienced pack dominated and that made the difference.

“The extremely wet conditions and the heavy pitch were more suited to Clogher’s style of play and they made the most of that, especially when we went to 14 men. We have been struggling with injury and availability.”