Loughanreagh make it a double

editorial image
Share this article

What a week it has been for Loughanreagh. Not content with winning the Morrison Trophy last Monday night out in Bushmills they duely won the E & B Taylor Charity Cup in Coleraine on Wednesday night.

This was a great end of the season for them having finished a disappointing fourth in the League.

The final of the Morrison Trophy was hosted by Dunluce Parish and Loughanreaghs’ opponents were St. Colman’s from Dervock. On mat 1 Edwin Irwin (L’reagh) was up against Martin McAleese (St. Colman’s).

The Loughanreagh rink settled better and went into a three shot lead early on. St. Colman’s came back to narrow the gap. Playing very steady bowls the Loughanreagh four then opened up a seven shot advantage but to their credit St. Colman’s stuck to their task and picked up four shots near the end to narrow the gap. The final score was 10 shots to six shots and a win for Loughanreagh.

On mat 2 Paul McCook (St. Colman’s) took on Ian Ross (L’reagh). McCook raced into a five shot lead and it was the fourth end before Loughanreagh got on the score board. St. Colman’s kept the pressure on and by the seventh end they lead 8-2.

With several shots against him, Ross tried to spring the jack back to his waiting bowls but unfortunately the jack went over the fender to hand his opponent a further three shots and leave the score 11-4 in McCook’s favour.

At the break St. Colman’s led by three shots but with still all to play for.

In the second half Alastair Steele (L’reagh) was against David Walker (St. Colman’s). Early on each team traded shots and by end four, the scores were level at four shots each.

Steele then held a three shot lead but Walker kept biting at his heels to level again on end nine. Loughanreagh won the last end to win 9 shots to seven shots.

On mat number 2 it was Aaron Tennant (St. Colman’s) opposing Alan Irwin (Loughanreagh).

The Loughanreagh rink settled very quickly and with Elma Irwin and Graham McConnell (first and second) building great heads it was left to Nigel McMullan (third) and Alan (skip) to sweep up the shots.

Try as they may the St. Colman’s four just could not make any in-roads and half way through the game they were trailing by 9 shots.

There was no let up from the Loughanreagh rink and at the end they had a very comfortable 15 shots to 1 shot win. This left the score 39 – 25 for Loughanreag and of course winners of the Morrison Trophy.