Fourths win tight game on the road to Belfast

Ballymoney IV travelled to the University of UIster at Jordanstown on Saturday, to play Belfast High Schools in the League.

Ballymoney ran out narrow winners by 15 points to 12

Conditions were dry as the game kicked off. A strong wind blew across the pitch favouring neither team.

Ballymoney started strongly in the opening period. The lineout, catch and drive, causing their opponents all sorts of problems.

Ballymoney were very near to getting over the opponents try line on a number of occasions only for home side s strong defending.

Ballymoney persisted with the game plan and after some good phases of play No 8 Neil Campbell powered his way over the line.

Back row forward Harry Gaston scored a second for the visitors as Ballymoney piled on the pressure.

The half time score 0-10 to Ballymoney, was fair reward for the display. The only down side was a injury to influential second row Jerome McAllister.

Some words of encouragement at half time, from team captain for the day, Jimmy Speers, kept the side focused for the second half.

Ballymoney started the second period as they left the first, some strong driving by the forwards saw fly half Peter Elliot find a gap and sprint in for Ballymoney’s third try.

Shortly after the score Ballymoney were reduced to 14 men as Jarvis Trainor was yellow carded for a ‘football style’ sliding tackle.

The situation got much harder for the visitors as Darren Marky was taken off injured and further yellow card was issued to Harry Gaston. Ballymoney now down to 12 men had to work tirelessly for the final 15 minutes. Although conceding two tries the fours held on for a deserved victory

Team manager Davey McHugh commented, “That was a good performance. We took our opportunities when the arose and defended well.

“We really dug in at the end to hold onto the victory”.

Man of the match goes front row forward Nigel McCollum.

The fourths now welcome PSNI to Kilraughts Road this weekend in the league.