Dunloy reach final 2012 championships

Dunloy 4-11 Cushendall 2-11

Dunloy reached the final of the 2012 championship with a six point win over Cushendall. A good solid performance from Dunloy which yielded four goals over the hour now sets up a mouthwatering final against old rivals Loughgiel.

Dunloy got off to a perfect start with Paul Shiels opening the scoring in the 3rd minute but Cushendall took the lead when Nicky McKeague was adjudged to have stepped back over the line when he made a great catch under the bar.

Cushendall then raced into a four point lead but Paddy Doherty, Paul Shiels and our first from play from Sean Dowds left just 0-2 between the teams.

Cushendall’s defence was then sliced open by a hand pass from Colm Cunning to Nigel Eliott. Showing the entire Dall defence a clean pair of heels he raced clear and netted the goal which settled Dunloy into the rhythm.

Paddy Doherty, Paul Shiels and Paddy Richmond now tagged on Dunloy points as Cushendall now got bogged down trying to turn the game into a physical contest.

Shane McNaughton finally got free in the last few seconds of the first half to point but from the poc out Dunloy again won a free which was slotted over to leave Dunloy 1-8 to 1-4 at the break.

The second half was less than 40 seconds old when Kevin McQuillan had the ball in the net a great know down from Paddy Richmond and when Paul Shiels fired home a second minute penalty Dunloy never looked back.

Cushendall pushed forward with Neil McManus and Shane McNaughton their most dangerous forwards.

Dunloy then hit their fourth goal when Paddy Doherty finished a fine move which saw Paddy Richmonds shot saved and the rebound was volleyed to the net.

A Neil McManus 21yd free gave Cushendall some hope but Dunloy finished the game with points from Nigel Elliott, Paddy Doherty and Paul Shiels to give Dunloy a 4-11 to 2-11 victory.

Scores Paul Shiels 1-5, Paddy Doherty 1-4, Nigel Elliott 1-1, Kevin McQuillan 1-0, Sean Dowds 0-1, Paddy Richmond 0-1.