Dalriada emerge victorious after scrappy affair against Belfast Met

Dalrida in action. inbm41-15
Dalrida in action. inbm41-15

Dalriada came out as victors against a travelling Belfast Met side on Saturday, in what can be described as a very scrappy game.

The match finished 24 - 0 with the home side outscoring the away team four tries to none.

Dalriada Second XV in action. INBM41-15 S

Dalriada Second XV in action. INBM41-15 S

The game started off with the home side on the front foot and through continued pressure, Alan Montgomery was able to touch down.

Stewart Moore converted from out wide. From the kick off, the Dalriada team went on the attack again and after a number of phases Full back Thomas Hunter scored in the corner. The conversion was missed. From the kick off the Dalriada side gained good territory from some clever kicking from Matthew McConaghie. While trying to clear their lines, the Met 10 got charged down and Alan Montgomery collected to score the easiest of tries. Half time score was 17 0.

The Dalriada team, who were missing a number of first team players, made a couple replacements at half time and this proved a good decision as replacement centre, Ross Fallows, cut a good line and scored in the corner. The conversion was again missed.  The rest of the game was played in very scrappy manner with both teams unable to hold on to the ball for any sufficient amount of time and both teams discipline let them down. The game finished 24 0. The 1st XV now look forward to a sterner test against Sullivan Upper next week.


The 2nd XV took on Antrim GS 1st XV and played out a very competitive game. Dalriada decided to field a big squad for the match trying to give as many players as possible game time. As a result a number of 3rd XV players were able to sample competitive rugby for the first time. Antrim took the lead in the first half but were unable to add to their score after some excellent defence. Patrick Stewart on the wing had an excellent game on the wing notable for several excellent tackles when a score on for Antrim.

Mattie Kennedy at scrum half showed great skills with his kicking and passing.

Line play was excellent throughout with Jonathan Waide taking possession cleanly all game. Hooker William Allen had a very strong game with not only hitting his target consistently in the lineout but also successfully turning over Antrim’s possession throughout the game and regularly making ground when carrying the ball.

It was still Antrim holding the lead going into the last ten minutes and after a number of replacements winger Stuart McHugh got the try and then added the conversion to make it 7-7. The score remained the same as the referee blew for the end of the game. This was an excellent performance for the second string team and was marked by the number of players vying for selection in the 2nd XV. They all look forward to next Saturday when they play Sullivan Upper at home and it is hoped that the 3rd XV will be action.


Dalriada medallion returned to winning ways against Antrim Grammar School with a 59-0 win. 

Dalriada kicked off the first half and set about with a strong start starving the Antrim Grammar team of the ball. Eventually after some resolute defending the home team conceded with Conor Clarke scoring. Shortly after Conor Clarke again scored smashing the post protector on the way over the line.

Henry Ross converted both kicks. Dalriada keep their possession however some lazy rucking saw several rucks turned over. Eventually they regained their focus and with tries coming from Peter Wright and Luke Clements the second half ended 28-0. 

In the second half Dalriada used all of their substitutes. However this did not affect their momentum and having a solid platform from scrum and lineout the backline got more tries with Matthew Carton scoring two, Patrick Carson scoring and Luke Clements and Peter Wright getting another try each.

Man of the match Henry Ross slotted another five kicks totalling 7 out of 9 kicks and numerous strong carries.

On Saturday the Dalriada u14 team travelled to Antrim Grammar School. Dalriada started off determined to let their back line run, they were soon rewarded when Captain James McCormick ran in the first try after a period of determined Antrim defence. Number 10, Jonathan Diamond converted successfully. Antrim struggled to deal with the Dalriada set piece and it was indeed after a well worked scrum that Patrick Steel and Ross Hennessy, after some positive running set up a ruck close to Antrim’s posts, Sam Quinn reacted quickly and powered over for the second try of the day. Jonathan Diamond converted once again. Antrim threatened to score before half time but some excellent team work from the Dalriada defence ensured it remained 14-0 at half time.

The second half started with both teams determined to build on their first half performances. It was however Dalriada who started the brightest after Captain James McCormick scored his second try of the day.

Once again Jonathan Diamond converted the score to make it 21-0. Dalriada were playing with confidence but Antrim refused to roll over and made a number of positive runs. Dalriada’s defence held firm with some superb defence, Will Scott and Jack Kennedy impressed with determined tackling throughout. Dalriada’s fourth try was scored by after Dalriada turned over Antrim at the ruck in their own half.

Full-back Peter McConaghie scythed through the Antrim defence to score in the corner with a spectacular individual effort. Unfortunately the conversion proved to be just out of Diamond’s reach on this occasion. Will Scott continued Dalriada’s scoring when he rampaged his way through the defence for the final try. James McCormick converted to put Dalriada 33 points clear of their opposition.

Antrim, who fought valiantly throughout decided to end the game early after a few of their players picked up injuries towards the end of the game. Final score: Dalriada 33 – Antrim GS 0

Dalriada U13 travelled to Antrim Grammar on Saturday and came away winners 32- 5. Dalriada started slowly making hard work of the first half by not making use of the wide pitch. At half time the game was finely balanced at 5-10 with tries from wing Caleb Moore and number 8 Sam Tweedie.

Dalriada started the second half with more zip and scored immediately through number 10 Adam Cuthbert.  Dalriada applied more pressure and scored again, 10 minutes in through a sniping dart from scrum half Jack Kirk.  Conversion by Jamie Henry. Dalriada cemented the win with another fine score from winger, Caleb Moore. It was centre Jamie Henry who had the final say after he stepped his defender to go over leaving the final score at 5-32.