3-0 success for Ballymoney ladies

Share this article


On Friday 16th November Ballymoney 1XI took on Armagh 1XI in the Ulster Premier league. On the back of an away defeat to Ards, Ballymoney set out to prove a point and to regain confidence ahead of their semi-final clash with Queen’s on Sunday 18th November.

‘Money worked tirelessly from the starting whistle with good linking play from the defence to the midfield and then again to the forwards. Ballymoney looked strong and this strength paid off with only two minutes played when a long ball from defender Angie Huey to Nikki Parke allowed Jessica Lynch to put the ball past the Armagh keeper, making the score 1-0.

In the 11th minute a quick free in and some quick thinking allowed Jessica Lynch to put her second past the Armagh keeper at the near post, making the score 2-0 to Ballymoney. Armagh continued to fight back against the Ballymoney attacks, but a strong Ballymoney side continued moving the ball with efficiency and moving forward to win short corners against the Armagh defence.

In the 28th minute a Ballymoney short corner led to a third goal for Ballymoney. A straight stroke from Susie Martin and a deflection across the front of the net by Jessica Lynch allowed Nikki Parke to tap the ball in at the right post. Armagh fought back strong winning a penalty corner which was effectively cleared by Susie Martin as the whistle blew for half time.

After the first half and the lead built up by Ballymoney, the second half was a lot tighter and hard fought. Ballymoney came out strong and won three penalty corners within the first seven minutes, the first two of which were cleared by the Armagh defence. The third corner came at a cost for Ballymoney with Angie Huey taking a deflected ball to the head and having to leave the pitch for medical treatment.

Ballymoney continued to fight the Armagh attacks and remained strong in defence throughout the half. Ballymoney squandered a couple of chances in the second half which would have further secured the score line. The second half remained scoreless and the match finished 3-0 to Ballymoney. Thanks to Mark and Liz and we wish Angie a speedy recovery.

Ballymoney III 3 NICS 1

Ballymoney got off to a poor start and they conceded a goal within the first 45 seconds of the game. An early goal 3 minutes into the second half by Lynsey Mooney evened the score to 1-1.

Natasha Walker scored two goals 10 minutes and 15 minutes in the second half. A strong second half saw this Ballymoney side take the points from a team who were top of the table and had not been beaten by any team this season.

Team: Ciara McGuigan, Lynsey Mooney, Laura Scott, Rebecca Martin, Emma Chestnutt, Emma Patton, Emma Macauley, Kate McKane, Cara Ferguson, Kate Ruddock, Natasha Walker,.