mo saves glebe with late strike

DEFEND. Glebe Rangers defend in numbers as this Newington effort clears the bar.INBM34-15 028SC.
DEFEND. Glebe Rangers defend in numbers as this Newington effort clears the bar.INBM34-15 028SC.

Glebe Rangers continued to chalk up the points with a 1-1 draw against Newington at the Riada Stadium.

Following on from their hard fought win away to Banbridge Town in the league opener, Jason Wilmont’s men battled hard against Newington in a game where little quarter was given by either side.

Following a Newington corner which was cleared by the Glebe defence, the ball was sen t back in to the area and came off the hand of McLay. the refereee pointed to the spot and the visitors converted to take the lead in 80th minute.

Things were to go from bad to worse for Glebe when the man in the middle sent off Sam Shaw in a case of mistaken identity.

Despite this setback, the Ballymoney men showed character and dug deep and their persistence was rewarded when Mo McDowell fired home the equaliser on the 90th minute to make it four points from two games.

Manager Jason Wilmont was a relieved man at the final whistle.

“To be honest the game had nil, nil written all over it. It was a tough game but we expected that from then but both sides were fairly equal.

“There were very few chances and neither keeper had hardly a shot to save.

“I couldn’t believe it when they took the lead. They had a corner which we cleared but they sent it in again and it hit Jason McLay’s arm. However, the referee sent Sam Shaw off instead.

“The lads all battled on and Mo McDowell who had just returned from his honeymoon, scored a nbrilliant equaliser on the 90th minute to give us a point.

“We had an opportunity in the second half when Aaron Wilkinson was one on one with the keeper but the linesman put his flag up for offisde.

“He later said ‘sorry I made a mistake’, however that’s not good enough and I told him its mistakes like that which could be crucial to us as the season goes on.

“All in all I was more than happy to get a point. the team spirit was really good and if we had the same situation last season I don’t believe we would have had a draw. Everyone pulled together and fought to the end and they got the draw they deserved.

“Four out of six points isnt bad for the start of the season but we need to maintain the effort and commitment.

“A couple of players picked up knocks though but we have this Saturday free so it has come at a perfect time for us. it will allow Alan Sheppard and Willie Beckett the chance to recover.”

Glebe Rangers next game is tonight (Tuesday) against Coagh in the league cup at the Raida Stadium with a 7.45pm kick-off.

“Sam Shaw is definitely out because of his suspension,” added Wilmont.

“A game against Coagh United is never easy and I will have to see how players are with injuries. The league is my priority, it’s our bread and butter and where my main focus is.

“I watched Wakehurst and Queen’s play on Wednesday night because we play Queen’s next in the league on 22nd August.

“We have a long road ahead of us and it’s important that we stay focussed and not get carried away with a couple of good results.”


Tuesday 18th: Glebe Rangers v Coagh United at 7.45pm at the Riada Stadium (league cup)

Saturday 22nd: Queen’s v Glebe Rangers (league)