Impressive away win for United

editorial image

This game started at a furious pace and an early break on 3 minutes saw Lyons pull the ball back to Stewart to test Jack Glenn in the home goal.

Newbuildngs counterattacked and were awarded a free kick on the eighteen yard line well taken by Wilson and a brilliant save full length from Coyle could only parry the ball into the path of Dougherty who was on hand to tap in on 9 minutes.

Wallace and Buchanan combined to trouble the visitors defence and but for another great save from Coyle the home team could have added to their lead on 12 minutes. Ballymoney mounted another good attack with Lyons beating Johnson down the right and crossing into the danger area for Watson to clear just outside the box for McClelland to drive goalwards, Jack Glenn making a good save failing to hold the shot but collected on the second attempt with Gillan homing in on the loose ball on 19 minutes.

Straight from the kick out Wallace went on an uninterrupted run taking on the Ballymoney defence and unleashing a fierce shot goalward and could only watch in disbelief as Coyle got across his goal and tipped the shot over the bar in the top corner.

A period of stalemate was interrupted by a McLaughlin free kick on the half hour well saved Jack Glenn in the home goal. Ballymoney dominated and after a period of pressure Lyons crossed to the back post where Allen pulled off a spectacular scissor kick volley into the roof of the net past Jack Glenn to equalise for the visitors. Ballymoney continued to press with half time approaching came close again when a McLaughlin free kick skimmed the crossbar.

Ballymoney continued putting the home team under pressure and a good run from Gillan resulted in a good pass into the path of Stewart who shot over the bar. From the kick off Hugh Og Boyle regained possession and started another attack which resulted in Lyons squirming past Johnson on the by line to cross to the front post where the ball was half cleared by Watson and intercepted by Gillan who dispatched the ball into the back of the net past Jack Glenn for Ballymoney to take the lead on 58 mins. Newbuildings attacked straight from the kick off with Wayne Glenn shooting past Coyle to equalise.

The game took a crazy turn when Gillan handled the ball inside the box from a Newbuildings corner leaving the ref had no choice but to send Gillan off and award a penalty. However, Wallace lob the ball over the bar.

Although down to 10 players Ballymoney still took the game to the home team and came close when a McLaughlin corner was headed just over by Gault. Ballymoney’s McClelland set up another chance for Allen 50-50 with Jack Glenn in the home goal the latter handling the ball outside the box and the referee had no choice but to send the keeper off. McLaughlin blasted a great free kick well wide of stand in goalkeeper but unfortunately it scraped the post and wide on 83 minutes.

Newbuildings produced a carbon copy of their of their second goal a 50 yard pass from McFall found Pierce who cut in to square the ball across the visitor’s goal for Robinson to tap in past a stranded Coyle on 88 minutes.

Ballymoney responded and attacked down the left with Lyons getting to the by line to cross back for McClelland who blasted past Glenn to equalise on 90 mins. Ballymoney regained possession and set up another attack the ball being released into the path of Allen who took on Johnson.

Johnson chopped Allen down for a penalty in the 93rd minute and McLaughlin blasted the spot kick past Glenn to give Ballymoney the lead and the match winner in a very entertaining game.

Ballymoney United v Strabane United on Saturday 30th January at the Showgrounds 2 pm Kick Off