Holders through in cup

HUTCHINSON Tiles Cup holders Hazelbank are through to the next round following their hard fought win over West Bann Athletic.

Last year's runners up Bertha's also progressed after a hard fought win against bogey team The Taverners. League leaders Glebe Old Boys picked up a good win away to FC Macosquin while Dunaghy Old Boys sauntered past Brook Street.

Mountview knocked Ballyrashane out while Finn McCool's and Hillview picked up big wins in their games. Shock of the round came at Fulton Park with Somerset knocking out high flyers Riverside with a good two nil victory.

West Bann Athletic 3 Hazelbank FC 5

Both sides observed a minute's silence in memory of Ryan Quinn before this thrilling cup tie.

Hazelbank started well with James Diver driving them on. And they took the lead on six minutes as Sheppard's cross was deflected past Tosh in the home goal.

Diver and Sheppard linked up again soon after as Diver's long pass sent the winger clear, but his shot ended up the wrong side of the post.

The home side were handed a route back in to the game on 15 minutes after a mix up in the visitors defence. Mark Boorman's short back pass had Crawford scrambling and Pancott took advantage to nick in and score.

This gave the hosts a shot in the arm and they went in front on 28 minutes as Doherty curled home a wonderful free kick.

Hazelbank where caught napping again soon after as Lee West headed in from a corner.

Colin McClarty kept his side in the tie as he pulled a goal back just before the break.

West Bann started the second half well as they looked to kill off the holders. But they couldn't find a way past Crawford who made amends for his first half mistake with a superb save to deny Doherty.

This was the turning point in the game, as McClarty levelled the tie up on the hour mark.

Defender Gavin Kelly gave Hazelbank the lead four minutes later with a towering header, before McClarty completed his hat-trick with a close range finish.

Man of the Match: Colin McClarty (Hazelbank FC).

Bertha's FC 4 The Taverners 3

Bertha's were looking to prove a point in this game having already lost twice to The Taverners this season.

It was the home team who had the better of the first half but only had the one goal to show for their efforts at half time. The goal coming from a great hooked effort with his left foot from Davy Caldwell after good work from McAllister and Drake.

It could have been more but Drake missed from close in while Kinnard pulled off a few decent saves.

At the other end, McCrory was largely under worked apart from one stinging effort from Cooper.

It was the Taverners who drew level early into the second half when good work down the left from McNicholl resulted in Bradley banging home from close range.

This lead was short lived as MacAulay put the home side back in front when he smashed home a free kick from 25 yards out. Bertha's further increased their lead after a scramble in the box as Caldwell fired home off the bar.

Taverners weren't going to take defeat lightly and they pulled one back with a fine strike from Rodney Doherty. However they soon found themselves two goals adrift again and it came from another MacAulay free kick.

Taverners suffered another blow when Dunlop was sent off after receiving his second yellow of the game but they continued to push for goals and pulled another back through Bradley. However, Berthas held out the remaining 10 minutes to progress to the next round. Man of the Match: Chris Morrow (Bertha's FC)

Riverside Athletic 0 Somerset 2

Riverside were on top in the opening 20 minutes of this game and had several decent chances to go in front but they found Harkin in the Somerset goal in good form with one particular save from Blair best described as world class.

Somerset gradually got back into the game and Fenton could have put them in front but after beating his man the winger shot the wrong side of the post.

Somerset opened the scoring 10 minutes into the second half through Jason Neill when the striker spotted the keeper off his line before lobbing him from 30 yards out. Somerset continued on the front foot and further increased their lead after 70 minutes when Fenton was brought in the penalty box, Barry McGonigle smashing home from the spot. Man of the Match: Barry McGonigle (Somerset)

Hillview FC 8 Balnamore FC 3

Timmy Close opened the scoring for Hillview in this game after eight minutes.

Balnamore equalised half way through the first half. A long clearance from the back found its way to Maddison, who had broken from deep. The striker squared the ball to Armstrong to score.

Another defensive mistake gave Hillview the lead again early in the second half. A goal kick fell straight to McClelland and with only the keeper to beat, the striker coolly fired home.

This lead was short lived when Hillview failed to deal with a corner and Maddison fired home.

Hutchinson gave Hillview the lead again two minutes later with a great run and finish.

The fourth goal in the opening 15 minutes of the second half gave Hillview a 4-2 lead as McClelland fired in from the spot after Hutchinson was upended.

Again Balnamore came back as Tweed headed home. But they were reduced to 10 men following a rash challenge and it didn't take long for Hillview to take advantage.

McClelland completed his hat-trick before Close headed in to make it 6-3 a few minutes later.

With the game now beyond Balnamore, Hillview took the opportunity use all there substitutions. The first of which scored their seventh goal of the game. Fillis picked up the ball and curled it into the top right corner giving the keeper no chance.

Another two of the Hillview substitutes and a bit of good fortune combined to complete the scoring with three minutes remaining. McDowell's cross found McGowan five yards out with goal wide open. The striker swung with his right foot missing the ball completely. His blushes were saved when the ball struck his standing leg and found it way into the bottom left corner.

To everyone in the Hillview changing room's disbelief McGowan was still claiming that this "step over" was intentional and was in fact a sublime piece of skill into the early hours of the evening! Man of the match: David McClelland (Hillview FC).

Finn McCools 7 The Villagers 0

The Villagers were the better side in the first 10 minutes but failed to find the net.

Finns back to full strength this week came into the game slowly. On 15 minutes Parke got his first by catching The Villages defence out after a great through ball from Kane. Minutes later Parke got his second with a great solo run.

The Villagers were attacking but found Boyce in good form in the Finns goal. Finns scored again when Dobbin slotted home.

Parke completed his hat-trick just after half time before Rushe grabbed a brace to make it 6-0.

Dobbin finished things off for Finns with number seven after a long throw from McQuiston. Man of the Match: Chris McAfee (Finn McCools).

Dunaghy Old Boys 8 Brook Street 2

Dunaghy were four up in 20 minutes. Fulton teed up Keers for the first on six minutes before he took over to grab a real poacher's hat-trick.

Brook Street looked stunned but got a foothold in the game on 30 minutes when they scored from a free kick from edge of box. They had a great chance 2 minutes later but failed a take it after their striker missed a penalty.

They paid for this on stroke of half time when Christie got his head on a corner from Keers.

Fulton grabbed his fourth at the start of the second half before Christie and Robinson wrapped things up.

Man of the Match: Gary Fulton (Dunaghy Old Boys).

Mountview FC 6 Ballyrashane FC 3

Ballyrashane were first to take advantage when they capitalised on some poor defending after ten minutes. Kerr's wayward pass on the left was picked up by Collins who crossed for McClelland to score.

It should have been two soon after but McClelland somehow headed over.

And they were made to pay as McClenaghan slotted past Doherty to equalise.

Ballyrashane edged in front again as Simpson failed to hold his namesake's shot.

Ballyrashane barely had time to celebrate though as the industrious Harte brought the sides level once again.

Mountview then took the lead for the first time ten minutes before the interval. Harte on hand once

again to tap home after Jimmy Smith's fierce drive came back off the crossbar.

Nigel White, making his first appearance of the season gave Mountview some breathing space as he slotted home.

McClenaghan then added his second of the day to give Mountview a commanding lead.

Ballyrashane, however, kept going and got a lifeline midway through the half when Freeman, who looked in an offside position slotted home.

The scoring wasn't finished there. McMullan then made sure Mountview would be in the hat for the next round, when he beat the visitors defence and fired home. Man Of The Match: Darren Harte (Mountview).

Macosquin Village 7 Coleraine Olympic 4

Macosquin Village dominated the first 30 minutes of this league match and were 6-0 up with goals from Daryl Marshall, Darren Stewart,Gavin Johnston, Daryl Marshall, John Doherty and an own from Grant Cameron.

Olympic pulled two goals backwhen Alan Nevin made the most of defensive errors to scoreon 39 and 42 minutes.The second half started with both teams attacking but a mistake in the Macosquin defence let Nevin through to complete his hat-trick.

Macosquin kept attacking and got theirseventh and best of the bunch whenDoddy Tosh played DDMc Dowellthrough to see his 25 yard belter hit the back of the net.

Olympic kept pushing and they got a fourth as Nevin fired home from McNeill's pass.