Glebe stop the rot with point

Glebe Rangers stopped the rot with a spirited fightback against Bangor on Saturday.

Rangers grabbed a much-needed point at the Riada Stadium after the opposition had been reduced to nine men in a fiery encounter.

The 2-2 draw gives manager Gary Scott some comfort after a poor run of results left Glebe rooted at the bottom of the Belfast Telegraph Championship One.

Scott will surely have been under some pressure going into the game as the spotlight was shone on his managerial reign.

But the man who guided Glebe to safety last season can once again breathe a little bit easier as his side look to rebuild their challenge to avoid relegation.

Before the match Glebe were dealt a double blow as Owen Moody and Ian Parkhill were made unavailable.

The home side started reasonably brightly but went behind midway through the first half.

Scott was left disappointed when Seasiders midfielder Ben Browne wasn’t tracked as raced down on Doey’s goal and coolly slotted home into the corner of the net.

Ten minutes later Glebe’s defence again could have done better as Bangor deservedly took a 2-0 lead going in at half-time.

After the break a lively Glebe looked to claw back the deficit but the visitors held strong.

The momentum swung in Glebe’s favour when Bangor were reduced to 10 men for an over the top challenge.

Rangers then sensed their opportunity and poured forward.

A tactical shake-up by Scott saw Alan Shepherd replaced by Ryan McFadden at left back and Lee Forgrave at right back gave Glebe’s attack extra width.

And Rangers were soon rewarded when an excellent passing move brought them their first goal.

Slick interplay involving Forgrave, McAllister and Elder saw a cross set up for Nigel Turner who struck with a superb finish with around 10 minutes left.

Glebe pressed hard for the equaliser and got their just rewards four minutes from time in an explosive incident.

The Bangor goalkeeper appeared to headbutt Nigel Turner following a tackle and referee Davy Walker made a correct and courageous decision to send off the goalie and award Glebe a penalty.

Tommy Elder stepped up in front of the large crowd to fire home a fine penalty to make it 2-2.

Unfortunately Glebe ran out of time as they pushed for a winner.

A pleased Scott was delighted with the spirit of his players.

“In the second half our intensity was upped and we set the tempo and a few challenges by Bangor were extreme.

“I would like to commend the referee Davy Walker who was not intimidated by the Bangor players.”

He added: “We had a stroke of good luck but everyone needs a bit of luck. A good attitude is the mother of good luck and our players are not short of good attitude.”

Glebe will look to build on the positive result this Saturday when they travel to Institute for a rearranged league fixture.

Glebe won there last year and Scott could his do chances no harm on how to get the business done by hiring Junior Apprentice star James McCullough for a few helpful tips.

The celebrity supporter was in the crowd at the Riada Stadium along with Shamrock Rovers star Chris Turner, the brother of Glebe star Nigel.