Glebe Rangers OB make it a double



GLEBE Rangers Old Boys capped an excellent season with victory in the final of the Hutchinson Tiles Knockout Cup against Balnamore on Saturday, who lost out in a final for the second week in a row.

A late penalty from Alan McBride was enough to secure the Old Boys the silver and give them the ‘double’ after they had wrapped up the League Championship in style a few weeks earlier.

The last game of the season saw the recently crowned league champions Glebe Rangers Old Boys meet Balnamore in the Knockout Cup Final at the Joey Dunlop Centre.

Both teams were at full strength as they sought to end the season on a high note. In truth the game turned out to be a bit of a disappointing spectacle as the sides struggled with the big pitch and the conditions.

The first half was a stalemate with both teams cancelling each other out. Armstrong lifted over when well-placed inside the box as Balnamore pressed.

For the Old Boys Midget Patterson looked the most creative player on view and his prompting released Ivan Elder whose effort blocked by Connor.

The rebound found Nicholl who fed McCurdy but the midfielder’s shot was well saved by Elder.

This signalled the end for McCurdy as he was replaced by Paul Surgenor on 25 minutes with Holmes moving into a midfield berth, however the interval was reached with the score-line still blank.

The pattern of the first half continued in the second period with neither keeper seriously tested. Balnamore had a great chance but Hegarty fired wide under pressure from Bellingham.

The deadlock was finally broken when good work by Holmes found Ivan Elder and the wide man’s advance was halted by Halliday inside the box. Referee Hiles pointed to the spot and up stepped Alan McBride to coolly slot home.

As time ran out Balnamore threw everything into attack but they were unable to break down a Glebe back four which was without a weakness throughout the 90 minutes. Man of the Match: Ian Bellingham (Glebe Rangers Old Boys).