Glebe Rangers exit Shield at the hands of Ballymena

Action from Glebe Rangers County Antrim Shield game at Ballymena Showgrounds
Action from Glebe Rangers County Antrim Shield game at Ballymena Showgrounds

Ballymena United moved into the quarter-final of the Toals County Antrim Shield with a comfortable 5-0 win over Glebe Rangers.

The Sky Blues still had too much firepower for the Championship Two outfit, as they stretched their unbeaten run to six games in all competitions.

Ballymena come close to opening the scoring as skipper Jim Ervin burst into the penalty area but his effort was blocked behind by defender Alan Sheppard.

McNall put United ahead on 19 minutes, heading home powerfully from six yards from Neal Gawley’s free kick near the touchline.

On 27 minutes, Neal Gawley put the Premiership side two goals up with a flashing near post header from David Cushley’s left-wing cross.

Cushley was involved in United’s third on 32 minutes when his low cross found its way to the back post where Henderson was on hand to steer the ball past Fullerton.

Former Ballymena winger Mo McDowell was Glebe’s most threatening player in the opening half with a number of efforts at goal, the best of them an instinctive first-time shot from just outside the centre circle which dropped just over the crossbar, to the relief of back-pedalling keeper Dwayne Nelson.

Glebe came close at the start of the second half when William Beckett’s header from Mo McDowell’s free kick was deflected narrowly wide of the post.

Ballymena scored two goals in quick succession around the hour mark through Thompson and Cushley.

Glebe came close to a consolation five minutes from the end as substitute Paul Lyttle’s shot was blocked by Nelson, with the keeper able to gather the loose ball at the feet of an in-rushing attacker.

Glebe Rangers: Fullerton, Shaw, Wilson, Sheapard, Dobbin, Beckett, Brown, Reid (sub Brace 61), Wilkinson, McDowell (sub Dunlop 68), McVicker (sub Lyttle 46). Subs (not used): Moore.