Gillan hat trick secures Ballymoney United win

Liam Coyle produces an excellent save for Ballymoney.INBM43-15 034SC.

Friday, 23rd October 2015, 10:14 am
SUPER SAVE. United's keeper pulls off a great save from the penalty spot on Saturday.INBM43-15 034SC.

The game was halted on 10 minutes by an injury to Ballymoneys McKenna who was taken to hospital with a broken leg. When the game restarted Harkin was causing problems for the home defence but Gault remained in command. The game took a turn on 34 mins when a Dempsey tackle was deemed to be a foul and the referee gave a penalty. Hammill stepped up to take the kick but Coyle spread himself to make a brilliant save.

The home team came close when an Allen cross was glanced wide by Gillan. Ballymoney got an attack together 2 minutes later and found Gillan who made no mistake to give the home team the lead on 40 mins. With half time approaching Ballymoney failed to clear a no danger ball on the by line losing possession and gifting Cassidy who squared back to Harkin who made no mistake from close range. Half time: Ballymoney United 1 Oxford United Stars 1

Ballymoney came out in a different frame of mind and got on top of Oxford right from the start. The visitors close on 52 mins when Harkin again brought a great save out of Coyle. Oxford came close again on 65 mins forcing another great save from Coyle. Coyle reacted launched the ball forward for Lyons and Gillan to chase and it was the latter that got the better of McCrossan cut inside and blasted past McKnight in the visitor’s goal on 65 minutes.

Ballymoney were down to 10 men when Dempsey received a second yellow for a foul on the edge of the box. Cassidy curled the free kick round the Ballymoney wall only to see his effort clip the post. The visitors equalised when the home defence failed to clear the danger once again. Coyle in the home goal brought off a great save in time added on and released Allen down the left. Allen picked out Gillan at the back post and the striker made no mistake heading past McKnight in the visitors goal to give Ballymoney the win 3-2.