It’s sweet 16 for Dunloy in cup tie

DUNLOY went goal crazy in Saturday’s Crawford Cup programme in the Ballymena & Provincial Intermediate League.

Thenorth Antrim side plundered SIXTEEN goals against Junior Division One side Larne Olympic in what is the equivalent of the FA Cup for the local league, encompassing sides from all four divisions.

Saturday was not a good day for the teams in the Steel & Sons Cup with all four making their exits though three were by a single goal in each match.

In the Intermediate League Desertmartin moved to the top of the Table after a home win over Raceview who are having a poor record in front of goals.

Saturday will see Seven Intermediate teams compete in the Irish Challenge Cup and Ballynure Old Boys ‘B’ in the Junior Cup with the rest of the teams mainly playing league games.


Matches this Saturday, September 15 are:

O’Gorman Cup Rd 1: Clough Rangers Athletic v Dunloy @ Tobar Park Cullybackey

Junior Division One: Ballymoney Utd Res v Antrim Rovers @ Ballymoney Showgrounds; Glebe Rangers Res v Larne Olympic @ Joey Dunlop Centre Ballymoney; Magherafelt Sky Blue Res v Mallusk Athletic @ Spires Park Magherafelt; Tobermore Utd Res v Desertmartin Swifts @ Fortwilliam Park Tobermore; 3rd Ballyclare Old Boys v Killymoon Rangers Res @ Foundry Lane Ballyclare.

Junior Division Two: Carnmoney FC v Carniny Amateurs II @ Valley PF Newtownabbey; Castle Star v Moyola Park Olympic @ Woodburn PF Carrickfergus;FC Larne v Wakehurst Strollers @ Sandy Bay Larne; Woodlands v Red Star @ Woodburn PF Carrickfergus; York Road Loughside ‘A’ v 1st Mossley YM @ Skegoneil Avenue Belfast.

Junior Division Three: Ballysillan Swifts v AFC Carrick @ Loughside PF Belfast; Carrickfergus YC v Carnlough Swifts @ 3g Ground Carrickfergus; Cookstown RBL v Encore FC @ Fairhill Cookstown; FC Ballynure Res v Rathcoole FC @ Parkview Hockey Club Doagh; FC Whiteabbey v Remo FC @ Valley PF Newtownabbey; Sport & Leisure Swifts Res v York Road Loughside ‘B’ @ Valley PF Newtownabbey; 14th Newtownabbey v 1st Carrickfergus OB @ 3milewater PF Doagh Road Newtownabbey.

Crawford Cup, round one: Ballyclare North End v Cookstown Olympic @ 6mile Centre Ballyclare.

Irish Cup Rd 1: Holywood v Ballynure Old Boys; Newtowne v Moneyslane; Desertmartin v Rathfriland Rangers;Wellington Rec v FC Ballynure; Carniny Amateurs v Ardstraw; Sirocco Works v Raceview; Oxford All Stars v Brantwood.

Irish Junior Cup round one: Ballynure Old Boys ‘B’ v Harryville Homers @ Diamond Rathcoole


Desertmartin 3, Raceview 1: Raceview who have not had the best of starts to their season took the lead on the 10th minute through a goal scored by Dean Dunlop. Desertmartin came back with Daniel McIlhatton scoring the equaliser on the 35th minute.

Half-time came with the teams still locked together then on the 61st minute Mark Shields scored the all important third goal which saw Desertmartin go in front. Raceview then had to chase the game then with time running our Desertmartin struck a decisive blow when Jonny Smyth scored their third goal on the 85th minute.


Ballyclare COmrades 1, Ballynure Old Boys 0: The Comrades probably had the best of the chances in this derby game but it was goal hotly disputed by Ballynure that decided the result. Chances had to be worked for by both teams but at half-time in front of a large crowd no goals had been scored.

The second half followed a similar pattern of play then on the 75th minute the Comrades got the all-important goal which Ballynure claimed the ball had gone out of play before being crossed into the goalmouth for the goal.

Lisburn Rangers 2, Carniny Amateurs 1: Carniny can count themselves a bit unfortunate not to have taken the game into extra time as the game was tied a one each until late in the second half the home side got a hotly disputed winner.

Jordan Graham with a sweetly struck free kick had put Carniny in front on the 34th minute then in the second half the Rangers equalised followed by the disputed winning goal.

Bloomfield FC 5, Brantwood 4 (aet): This game was decided on penalty kicks with the home side being awarded two in normal time then a third in the final seconds of extra time to win the game.

Brantwood were in control of this game with goals scored by Chris Rafferty and Steven Andrews on the 11th and 35th minutes. The home side then converted their first penalty before Patrick Kelly put Brantwood two goals clear again on the 57th minute only to see the home side convert a second penalty on the 62nd minute.

Joseph McClenaghan made it four two for Brantwood on the 69th minute but then goals on the 88th and 91st minutes saw the game into extra time. No goals were scored by either team until the dying seconds of the tie when the home side converted their third penalty to win the game.

Larne Tech Old Boys 6, FC Ballynure 1: Though five goals separated the teams the scoreline did not reflect how the game went. In the end it is goals that count and on this front the Old Boys were more deadly than Ballynure whose goal was scored by David Bradley.


Antrim Rovers 4, Magherafelt SKy Blues Reserves 3: This was a cracking game with the Rovers edging the result at the end.

Allan Jones scored putting the Rovers in front on the 32nd minute then goals scored by Jonny Rogers and a second for Allan Jones on the 47th and 53rd minutes saw the Rovers three goal up.

The Sky Blues came back with goals scored BY Jon McGuckin and Conor Bell on the 58th and 61st minutes before Jonny Rogers scored his second goal in the game on the 65th minute. The Sky Blues never gave up and after Shane Henry scored on the 83rd minute the Rovers were on the defensive until the final whistle.

Ballyclare COmrades Reserves 3, Mallusk Athletic 1: The Comrades were in front on the 7th minute through a good goal scored by Tony Likens then doubled their lead when Jonny Boyd scored on the 15th minute.

Half-time saw the two goal lead still standing then on the 55th minute Niall McErlean made it three nil for the Comrades. Mallusk never gave up the chase but time was running down when Philip Brown scored their only goal on the 83rd minute.

3rd Ballyclare Old Boys 0, COokstown Olympic 5: The Old Boys who pipped the Olympic for the 2nd Division Title last season were second best on Saturday. Darren McCabe opened the scoring on the 7th minute followed by Ryan Devlin scoring on the 24th minute. The Old Boys then had the chance to reduce the deficit from the penalty spot on the 48th minute but Keeper Jamie O’Neil made a double save to deny then on the 49th minute Ryan Devlin scored his second goal. The Old Boys had to chase the game in the second half but the Olympic held firm with Ryan O’Neil converting a penalty on the 55th minute and Ryan Devlin completing his hat-trick on the 75th minute.


1st Mossley YM 4, Ballyclare North End 0: Mossley got the campaign in Division Two off to a winning start after winning the Third Division last season. The game was a very evenly contested one until in a devastating six minute spell when Colin Hinton completed a hat-trick with goals on the 35th, 39th and 41st minutes giving Mossley a three goal lead at half-time. After this North End tried hard to get back into the game but after Steven Boyles scored a fourth there was no way back for the visitors.

Moyola Park Olympic 3, Carniny Amateurs II 1: This game played at Mill Meadow saw both teams play a lot of good football but at half-time there was still no goals scored. This changed on the 55th minute when Dean Wright scored putting Carniny in front. Moyola came back with Brian Holmes scoring the equaliser on the 55th minute then took the lead after Paul Clarke scored on the 72nd minute then sealed the win when Brian Holmes scored his second goal on teh 76th minute.

Red Star 0, Castle Star 5: It was a good day for the Castle in this Carrickfergus derby between the close neighbours. Castle had the better of the chances during the first-half going in three nil up with goals scored by Sam Harrison, Lee Fleck and Stuart Thompson. Red Star had to chase the game in the second half but it was Castle who scored the goals with Warren Brown and Darryl Duff killing off any hope Red Star had of saving the game.

Wakehurst Strollers 1, Chimney Corner Reserves 2: The goal scoring in this game took place during the first half with the first goal coming on the 31st minute when Conor Warren scored putting the Strollers in front. The Corner replied with Aaron Mitchell scoring the equaliser on the 36th minute and then took the lead when Myles Devine scored on the 40th minute. The second half saw plenty of chances created but alas no more goals. Referee Mr. Martin Bellew


Encore FC 2, FC Ballynure Reserves 3: Ballynure were early on the attack and took the lead after Steve Martin scored on the 16th minute but Encore came back to equalise when a defender deflected a shot from Gerard O’Neil into his own net. As half-time was then approaching Ballynure went in front for a second time through a goal scored by Philip Gardiner. In the second half Ballynure extended their lead on the 65th minute with a goal scored by Ian Smyth and held this lead until Brian Wells scored for Encore on the 90th minute.

Remo FC 2, Sport & Leisure Swifts Reserves 1: After a bright start to the game Remo took the lead after Neil McMahon scored on the 20th minute then added to this goal when Owen Bradley scored on the 31st minute. The visitors came back strongly getting back into the game when Martin McCann scored from the penalty spot on the 40th minute. The second half saw chances for both teams to score but at the final whistle the odd goal won the game for Remo.

York Road Loughside ‘B’ 4, Carrick Young Citizens 0: York Road took an early lead in this game when Karl Woodside scored on the 3rd minute but were the held out by the Citizens until David Moore scored on the 22nd minute. Half-time was then approaching when Karl Woodside scored his second goal on the 31st minute give York Road a three goal lead at the break. The Citizens came into the game in the second half but failed to take a couple of good chances then on the 68th minute David Moore with his second goal completed the scoring.


Dunloy 16, Larne Olympic 1: The Youthful Larne team can look at this as a learning experience as no doubt it will not be every game when they will come up against so many proven goals corers as they did on Saturday at Dunloy. Dunloy goals were scored by John John McFerran 6, Benny McGarry 5, Conor McKinley 4 and Cahal Higgins 1 with Reece McGinley scoring for the Olympic.

Carnlough Swifts 4, Carnmoney FC 2: Carnlough took the lead after Conor McCollum scored on the 10th minute but then Carnmoney equalised with Ricky Thompson scoring on the 20th minute. Carnlough took the lead again with Conor McCollum scoring his second goal on the 30th minute and extended this lead after Niall Hamill scored on the 40th minute. Ricky Thompson scored his second goal to reduce the deficit on the 55th minute but Carnlough held firm after this and an own goal conceded by Carnmoney on the 80th minute saw Carnlough winning by two clear goals.

Rathcoole FC 4, Ballysillan Swifts 1: This was the first meeting of the two newcomers to the league and no doubt as the season progresses they will give a few teams a run for their money. As it was in this cup tie goals scored by Matt Doyle, Steve Coppan, Gary Dickson and Rob Toan won the game for Rathcoole with Ricky Dunn scoring for Ballysillan.


Glebe Rangers Reserves 3, 14th Newtownabbey 3 (N’abbey win 4-2 on pens): Glebe went into this tie as favourites to progress but they got as hock from the visitors who have recruited a few new players from last season. No goals were scored until Gary Nicholl scored twice in the 33rd minute to put Glebe two goals in front at half-time. Newtownabbey came back to equalise with Steven Gilmore scoring on the 78th and 88th minutes to take the game into extra time. Newtownabbey then took the lead after Lee Rossi scored on the 105th minute then Reese Black equalised for Glebe on the 107th minute taking the game to penalties which Newtownabbey win four two.

Tobermore United Reserves 0, FC Whiteabbey 3: Tobermore who have won their first three league games on the tot came unstuck against a newly formed team in FC Whiteabbey who on this performance will be in the mix for promotion from Division Three. Tobermore had a chance or two to score in the game but it was a well drilled team Whiteabbey who did the scoring with two goals from Karl Douglas and one from Gerald Southam to progress to the next round.

1st Carrickfergus OB 1, AFC Carrick 3: This was another Carrickfergus derby game with AFC formerly Metro FC coming out on top by virtue of their deadly approach around the goals. AFC went into a three goal lead with goals scored by Jon Williams on the 6th minute and a brace scored by Steve Beattie on the 10th and 15th minutes. The Old Boys got a goal back after Chris Sands converted a penalty on the 25th minute this being the last goal of the first-half. AFC than went on to score three more goals on the 49th, 60th and 65th minutes through Paul Gilmour, Garth Logan and Jon Williams.