Good win for Ballymoney United Youth Academy U-9s against town rivals

Ballymoney United Youth Academy U-9s 4 Ballymoney Athletic 1

Thursday, 28th November 2013, 2:15 pm
Ballymoney United Youth Academy.

Ballymoney United recorded a good win over their town rivals.

The first match after the league split drew the two Ballymoney teams against each other. The first half ended 0-0.

The second half started with Athletic on the front foot and with Emily Reid a constant threat in attack it was Athletic who took a deserved lead when the very impressive Oisin McCamphill broke from midfield and found himself in on goal and with only the keeper to beat he coolly side footed his shot passed the keeper for an excellent finish and a 1-0 lead. This seemed to spark United into life and with Logan Holmes starting to win the midfield battle United were soon on level terms with a well placed shot by Rhys Keys. United then took the lead when Holmes won the ball and released Blair who in turn played in Keys to fire home his low drive for his second. It was now end to end football but with McNicholl and Boggs in Athletics defence and Archibald and Sloan in the United defence standing firm it wasn’t until the final five minutes that the next goal came. McCamphill again found himself in front of goal for Athletic only this time to be denied by a superb save by Donnelly who quickly set United on the counter attack which forced a corner and when Athletics defence failed to clear Scotty Blair swivelled and clipped the ball past the keeper for 3-1. Then with final play of the game it was Oisin Casey for United to fire home his goal and United’s fourth. This was very entertaining match by two very committed teams and was a more even game than the score line would suggest.

BUYA U10’s v Oak Athletic Won 3-1 (Kelly 2, Dallas)

Ballymoney faced one of their toughest tests of the season this week in Oak Athletic. It was all Ballymoney at this stage but against the run of play Oak broke away and earned a set piece from which they capitalised to make it 1-0 and finish the first half in front.

The second half started with chances at both ends and on 29mins a great ball from the back by Kirk put Kelly through for the equaliser. The ‘toon’, then broke away again with some fine work from Stinson and McLaughlin in midfield, to feed the ball to Kelly, who put Dallas through to score the second for Ballymoney. A few minutes later it was three to the’ toon’, when Dallas played it to Stinson who put it on a plate for Kelly’s second and Ballymoney’s third.