Glebe suffer agony during league play-off

Glebe Rangers Old Boys Challenge Shield winners. CR22-274PL
Glebe Rangers Old Boys Challenge Shield winners. CR22-274PL

The 2011-2012 Hutchinson Tiles Winter League came to a conclusion on Saturday with the Knockout Cup Final followed by the end of season award presentation at Coleraine FC Social Club.

Earlier in the week, Mountview FC secured their first League title with a play-off victory over Glebe Rangers Old Boys.

Hazelbank FC picked up their second Knockout Cup victory in three seasons, as they beat Mountview on penalties after the game itself finished 2-2. The AGM will be held on Tuesday 5 June in the Railway Arms at 7pm.

All proposals for amendments to the Constitution/Rules to be forwarded in writing/email to Stephen Fleming or Alan McCloskey, to be received no later than 6pm Saturday 2 June.

Note all outstanding fines to paid with membership renewal deposit at the AGM.

The league committee are delighted to announce the Coleraine FC Social Club as their new Challenge Shield sponsor. The Shield has been without a sponsor for a number of seasons now but the Social Club are now on board for the foreseeable future.

Mountview FC 2 Glebe Rangers Old Boys 0 (Playoff Match)

Games this season between these two teams have proved to be tight matches and this one was no different which chances at a premium, especially in the first half hour. Glebe enjoyed the more possession with out creating anything clear-cut with the Mountview back four comfortably dealing with what came their way. Mountview slowly came into it with Doherty up front and especially young Darryl Wills on the left wing proving particularly dangerous.

It was Mountview who got the breakthrough near the end of the first half when neat play between Johnston and Mitchell found Doherty in space, he controlled before picking out Mitchell and the big man made no mistake from five yards out. The second half was similar to the first with the Glebe struggling to breakdown the Mountview defence.

As the game wore on, Glebe pushed more men forward and nearly got their reward when first, Elder fired wide before Mountview keeper Hugh McLaughlin lived up to his nickname ‘Holywood’ with a acrobatic save to deny Steele’s header. Glebe pushed centre back Paul Gaston forward and this left holes at the back which Mountview exploited on a few occasions yet failing to find the winning goal.

They eventually got the all important second goal when Fraser crossed for the excellent Wills to fired a first time left footed shot past Allen. Glebe typically never gave up but it wasn’t to be their day with the whistle coming to bring Mountview FC and manager Paul Simpson their first league title. Man of the Match: Darryl Wills (Mountview FC)

Hazelbank FC 2 Mountview FC 2 (Knockout Cup Final)

This game was played in sweltering conditions at the University with a large crowd in attendance. Both sides had half chances with Hazelbank enjoying the better of the play, Mountivew looking a little jaded after their league exploits earlier in the week. However it was Mountview that should have taken the lead midway through the half when Martin picked out Doherty at the far post but the normally deadly front man headed over when well placed.

Hazelbank capitalised on this taking the lead moments later. Neat play in midfield found Wilson in space, he slipped McClarty and the striker made no mistake smashing the ball past McLaughlin. Into the second half and chances were regular for both sides bringing about a very entertaining game. It was the league champions who equalised when Doherty found the net from close in.

Hazelbank then had some very good chances to regain their lead before they eventually did, Wilson slipping the ball past McLaughlin following a slick passing move. Hazelbank should have put the result beyond doubt when Barry Greene ran clean through but the midfielder finding himself in an unusual position and a cold sweat coming on, he failed to find the back of the net with Wallace eventually clearing the danger.

Mountview punished them for this miss when sub Aaron Watton scored with a lovely header with his first touch of the game. This took it to extra time, Hazelbank suffering a blow when keeper Steven Crawford picking up a knee injury, to be replaced by his brother Mark in nets.

The best chance of extra time fell to Mountview with Noel Laverty heading against the post. Into penalties and after 2 Mountview misses one of them a great save from stand-in keeper Crawford, O’Brien stepped up to fire home the winning spot kick, cue wild celebrations from Garth Hutchinson’s men. Man of the Match: Brian Alcorn (Hazelbank)