Could Twigg be set for debut against Glebe?

Gary Twigg in action against Coleraine last season.  Photo by David Maginnis/Pacemaker Press
Gary Twigg in action against Coleraine last season. Photo by David Maginnis/Pacemaker Press

Gary Twigg could be in line to make his Coleraine debut in tonight’s (Tuesday) friendly against Glebe Rangers.

The pre-season game, which kicks off at the Riada Stadium at 7.45pm, sees Oran Kearney’s men take on the Ballymena Premier Intermediate side.

“It will be a good test for us,” said Glebe boss Jason Wilmont.

“We have been looking good in training, but the boys want to play games and there’s no bigger game round here for us than Coleraine.

“Hopefully we get a decent crowd on the night, and with Gary Twigg maybe making his debut for them I’m sure there will be a few more coming along.

“This is an imprtant game for us in our build up for the new season.”

Twigg signed a one-year deal with the Bannsiders on Saturday morning following his departure from Portadown.

The Glaswegian helped himself to over 50 league goals during his three-and-a-half year stint at Shamrock Park, and now he is relishing his new adventure at The Showgrounds.

“I’ve been very impressed with the job Oran has done here,” he told Times Sport.

“He has brought through a number of very impressive young players in the last couple of seasons.

“When you play against them you know what you’re going to get, they produce good exciting football and create a lot of chances.

“For someone like myself to come and see the chances that are being created is great, but it’s my job to put it in the back of the net.

“The cup game last season is a game which I don’t know how we won.

“Portadown went one up, and Coleraine equalised before I got the penalty and we got through, but I said at the end of the game I don’t know how we got through.

“Coleraine created so many chances and were the better team but lost the game.”

Twigg revealed the deal has been done for a number of weeks, but with the summer holidays it is only being completed now.

“It was all finalised very quickly on Saturday morning, I’m really happy it’s all sorted now,” he said.

“It took a wee bit of time to finalise as I have been on holiday and Oran was away too.

“But to be honest it’s nearly been agreed for about a month now. Myself and the boss both knew it was going to happen, but I’m delighted it’s over the line now.

“I got really good vibes talking with Oran so I made my mind up this is where I wanted to be.”