Ballymoney youth academy match reports

editorial image
Share this article

U9s BUYA 5 - 0 Institute

After the U9s recent run of good form, the boys started this game full of confidence and it showed from the first whistle.

Ballymoney took the lead when Ryan McNicholl broke from right back to drill his shot pass the keeper.

Kyle Sloan then scored the second with another fantastic strike from distance.

The third goal came just before the break after Adam Faulker – who was outstanding in this game – delivered a pinpoint cross for McNicholl to score his second at the back post.

The second half saw the return of Rhys Keys from injury, and he had an immediate impact when he got himself onto the scoresheet with another well-worked goal.

Smyth, Blair and Casey all went close to extending the Toon’s lead, before Keys grabbed his second and the team’s fifth and final goalof the match.

This was Ballymoney’s best performance of the season, and the boys will now be looking forward to the semi-finals.

U11s BUYA 1 - 2 Maiden City

The U11’s were drawn against Maiden city in the 1st round of the cup in a repeat of the NIBFA cup, in which Ballymoney enjoyed a narrow victory.

It was clear from the whistle that Ballymoney were going to have to be on top form to get a result.

Ballymoney began playing with a high tempo, closing down every ball and when in possession, they moved forward with pace and power.

Joshua Morrison and Joel Christie were proving to the main outlet, with Morrison torturing his opposite number in numerous early attacks.

Ballymoney won a series of corners, and were unlucky not to open the scoring from two good chances.

The deadlock was broken after some good combination play between Morrison and Christie, when Christie then passed to Jacob Craig on the edge of the box, who drilled his shot low and hard into the bottom corner of the net.

Ballymoney looked as if they would go on to extend their lead, but instead allowed Maiden City back into the game, when they were allowed to equalise from close range unmarked and unchallenged.

While this spurred on Maiden City, Ballymoney lost their way and after a series of half-hearted tackles and being too slow to close down the ball, City took the lead before the break.

In the second half, ‘Money were asked to play with the tempo and intensity they displayed at the start of the match, but City had other ideas.

Their workrate made it difficult for Ballymoney to get into any sort of rhythm, and despite occasional glimpses of their ability, they were unable to create any clear openings and the game finished 2-1.

MOML: Joel Christie

U12s B BUYA 2 - 2 Moyola (Ballymoney win on penalties)

Ballymoney B squad hosted Moyola in the first round of the cup, with Ballymoney starting the brighter of the two.

First advantage went to Ballymoney with a well worked ball down the middle, ending with a lovely finish from Stuart.

However, both teams were really up for this game, and Moyola showed that with a fine, low hard ball in to the bottom right of the net to make the halftime score 1 - 1.

The second half started as the first half ended.

Callum and Corey worked well together in midfield with a lovely pass to Stuart, who slotted in home for his second.

Moyola continued to push – with Matthew pulling off three brilliant saves in a row – but they were finally rewarded with a free kick on the edge of the box which found the top right hand corner of the net.

The game went into extra time, but still finished with the score at 2-2.

And so it went on to the nerve-wracking penalty shoot-out.

In the end, it proved to be Ballymoney’s day and they proceeded through to the next round of the cup.

MOM: Stuart Walker and Matthew Kane.