Ballymoney United Youth Academy round-up


Draw 2-2 (Archibald, Keys)

The boys started off on the front foot playing some great football at a cold and frosty Ballysally against a Portrush team who had recorded some excellent results over the past few weeks.

Despite some neat interplay between McMaster, Faulkner and Keys they failed to make the Portrush keeper work and with the game looking like it going into half time all square Portrush took the lead with a speculative effort.
The boys came out in the second half undeterred by the setback of conceding and again went on the attack. This paid dividends as they drew level when a strong effort from Archibald found the back of the net.

With Archibald and Casey defending well at the back Portrush were limited to a few chances which Donnelly dealt with excellently.

Portrush did score again to go 2-1 in front but the boys didn’t give up and their persistence was rewarded when Keys scored with a thunderous shot to end the game all square. An excellent team display with the boys starting to find their feet against the older teams.

Man of Match: Oisin Casey.

BUYA U-9s v Limavady

Won 4-0 ( Kelly, Stinson, McCollum, Orr)

Ballymoney continued on from their fine performance of last week with scoring another 4 this time against Limavady who had turned them over 2 nil a couple of weeks ago.

Ballymoney’s total dominance of the game can be measured by the fact that White in the Ballymoney goal didn’t touch the ball in the second half. Although on top from the start it took until midway through the 1st half when Kelly’s cross caught the keeper of his line. 5 mins later a great move which started on the left by Patton, who is having a much bigger impact on the team in his deeper role, resulted in the play being switched and when the cross came in Stinson was at hand to turn it home.

Try as they could Ballymoney couldn’t add to their half time lead until 28 minutes when McCollum turned in a McLaughlin cross shot. A training ground setpiece move between Stinson and Patton resulted in Orr making it 4.

This was a better all round performance this week if that was possible. Kirk and Kelly sniffed out the main Limavady danger early on and were ably supported by the selfless hard work of McLaughlin in particular.

Now that they have found this new tempo to go with their undoubtable talent they are proving a much more difficult team to beat.  

Man of Match: kirk McLaughlin.

BUYA U-10s Athletic v Coleraine Olympic

Won 2-1 (Morrison 2)

Ballymoney were playing a strong Coleraine team and knew it was going to be a hard match but even with two players short of the normal team the squad were up for the game.

The Toon took the lead in the first 10 minutes a great driven cross by Jude Bolton and Joshua Morrison was there to guide it into the net 1-0.

Bolton was having a great game and was involved in everything Ballymoney were doing. Daniel Beckett went close as did Morrison in the first half but the Coleraine keeper made a couple of good saves H/T 1-0.

The 2nd half was a case of the Toon showing great grit and determination to keep ahead in the game. Conall McGothigan and Matthew McNeill were awesome at the back and Ruairi O’Boyle in nets was keeping the match at 1-0.

Coleraine were pressing hard to get back into the game but Joshua Stockman won the ball and set up a counter attack. Morrison raced onto the loose ball to make it 2-0.

The game wasn’t over as Coleraine came back strongly and got back into the game after a great save by O’Boyle but he could only watch as the follow-up shot went into the net.

The last 10 minutes saw the Toon defend and what a display of hard work and tackling they put in. Coleraine went close in the closing minutes but Ballymoney saw the game out to win a hard fought game. F/T 2-1.

Man of Match: Jude Bolton.

BUYA U-10s Colts v Dungiven

Lost 3-1 (Convery)

The newly formed Ballymoney Colts team had a tough tie against an established Dungiven side. With a few changes from last weeks game the lads settled into the game well and withstood some early pressure with Leo McBride in goals making some good saves to keep Dungiven at bay.

The industrious Joshua Stockman in midfield Found Matthew Drain who powered down the line and provided an inch perfect cross for Declan Convery to convert.

The Colts should have pushed on from here but found the pace of the Dungiven attacks difficult to cope with and found themselves going in 1 each at half time.

In the 2nd half the weather took a turn for the worse and with the wind and hail blowing into the faces of the Ballymoney team they conceded another.

To their credit they stuck to the task and created some goal scoring chances themselves just lacking the finishing touch in front of goal. Timmy Cassells proved a real menace with some fine mazy runs on goal while Mark Faulkner and Ben McKissick both put in a tremendous shift at the back.

But despite a valiant attempt to level the score the game ended up 3-1.

Man of Match: Declan Convery.

BUYA U-11s v Maiden City Academy.

Won 3-2(Doherty, Knight, O’Neill)

Ballymoney started positively and had Maiden City on the back foot from the off and had numerous chances to be out of sight after only fifteen minutes. The breakthrough came when Conall collected a bouncing ball and dispatched it high into the top corner.

Shortly after the restart Conall battled his way past the last defender and looked certain to score and the Ballymoney boys felt they should have had a penalty.

This gave Maiden City the kick-start they needed and within a minute of the incident they had drawn level, the ball played over the top and the forward finished well. HT 1-1

The start of the second half and you could see the incident had rattled the boys and another ball over the top caught them out, Mitchell made an excellent stop with his legs but the boys were sleeping and didn’t clear their lines and were punished, 2-1 down.

A few minutes later the boys were caught again, with the same ball over the top, and again Mitchell made a great stop, again with his legs.

Everybody could sense an upset on the cards but this was really the last chance Maiden City got and Ballymoney got back the momentum and bossed the remainder of the game.

Still 2-1 down they continued to pass and squander chances, finally Matthew Knight got on the end of a through ball from Conall and he made no mistake this time slotting it into the corner 2-2.

It was all one way traffic now surely the goal would come, more opportunities wasted,

Knight’s heavy touch gave the keeper a chance to smother, next it was the woodwork which came to Maiden City’s rescue. O’Neill was now pushed into midfield from defence and with seconds remaining the ball found its way to O’Neill on the right hand side of the box. With everyone probably expecting a defender style finish Chad had other ideas and a first time crisp shot found its way into the bottom corner to send the young Ballymoney boys ecstatic. There was just time to centre and the whistle sounded to give Ballymoney a well deserved victory..

Man of Match: Chad O’Neill.