Ballymoney Under Academy 10s hit Ballymena for 13!

U9s 1-2 Bertie Peacocks

The Under 9s lost this encounter to a determined and hungrier Berties team.

Ballymoney started off the better but could not capitalise on the half chances they created.

The longer the game remained scoreless the more Berties got a foothold and took the lead midway through the first half when they were quicker to react when their initial shot was saved.

This gave Berties something to hold onto and they were quicker to the ball and harder in the tackles. They doubled their lead just before half time. The second half saw Ballymoney on the front foot for most of it but they couldn’t break down a resilient hard working defence.

Half chances came and went for Ballymoney until with seven mins left Leon Patton pulled a goal back with a fine strike. Try as they would they couldn’t get the equalizer. This was a disappointing result and a lack lustre performance by Ballymoney who only played in patches.

Man of Match: Jonathan Kirk

U10s(Athletic) 4-1 Coleraine Academy

The Ballymoney boys were hoping for their seventh win of the season, but they just couldn’t get to grips with the game.

They found themselves down 1-0 after five minutes of the first half. Max Lowry nearly got the Toon back into the game but the Coleraine keeper made a good save. The boys were working hard but Coleraine got another goal to make it 2-0.

Cathal Darragh was now up front and was linking well with Padraig Kelly and Joshua Morrison on the wings but the ball wouldn’t go in the net.

Finn McLaughlin stepped up to take a free kick, however it was cleared off the line. Coleraine grabbed a third at the other end.

In the 2nd half Ballymoney came out and didn’t give up even though they were three down. Matthew McNeill and Conall McGothigan were now pushing forward from the back, despite good attacking play, they couldn’e get the ball into the back of the net.

Mark Faulkner was now on and what a change he made playing his best game for Ballymoney and from his pass Morrison got a goal back 3-1. The Toon were now pushing for another goal, at the other end Jude Bolton had to make a couple of smart saves. Coleraine broke again in the last minute to make it 4-1.

Man of Match: Mark Faulkner

U10s 13-0 Ballymena

Adam McCombe had a huge smile on his face after this encounter. He grabbed five goals in this drubbing.

Not to be outdown, Joel Christie and Joshua Morrison both got hat-tricks while Cameron Milliken grabbed a brace.

They had planned to continue their good run in this tie. And that they did.

Ballymoney started the game well taking the game to Ballymena and it wasn’t long before they opened the scoring through Adam McCombe on Ballymoney’s first attack of the game.

McCombe added a second minutes later with an exquisite lob over the keeper. Still not finished and on the hunt for his hat-trick McCombe won the ball from a Ballymena throw and went on to deservedly claim his third.

Ballymoney pressing forward stretched their lead to 4-0 after Joel Christie showed good strength to hold the ball up and release Joshua Morrison on the left, who had been brought in to replace the missing Arron Dallat, he did a fantastic job bagging the fourth and fifth goals for a rampant Money.

The sixth came from Christie after Morrison’s shot was parried by the Ballymena keeper. Morrison then completed his hat-trick grabbing the seventh of the game.

The Toon were out classing Ballymena in all areas of the pitch and were able to construct goal scoring opportunity’s with ease. They scored their eighth with one of the best moves of the match when Joshua Morrison spread the ball from left to right finding McCombe who played it into the path of the advancing Joel Christie in the centre who grabbed his second. Another good midfield passing move set McCombe free for his fourth before Christie completed the first half rout with the third hat-trick of the game.

Ballymoney made a few changes for the second half - Padraig Kelly, Finn McLaughlin and Matthew McNeil were introduced and the trio all put in a good shifts.

As per the rules Ballymena added two more outfield players and to their credit were not visibly disheartened by the scoreline continuing to work hard and forcing Ballymoney to defend on occasions.

Although Ballymoney had taken their foot of the gas in this half they were still looking for more goals.

Adam McCombe completed his scoring for the day claiming his fifth before Cameron Milliken who been pulling the strings in midfield all day got his reward bagging himself a brace taking Ballymoney’s tally to an impressive thirteen for the day.

Man of Match: Adam McCombe and Jacob Craig

U11s 5-0 Bertie Peacocks

Ballymoney knew this was a potential banana skin after Berties excellent win last week, but the boys had them on the back foot from the first whistle and after three minutes they went a goal up, Conal playing Mathew through who turned the defender and slotted in the bottom corner.

Once again the link up play was outstanding and Berties were carved open many times before Mathew was upended in the penalty box to win a penalty, Colm Darragh stepped forward and coolly slotted the ball into the bottom left hand corner.

Ballymoney squandered many more chances before Conal provided his usual piece of magic, twisting and turning in the box and slotting the ball low into the corner.

Ballymoney’s fourth goal came when a Bertie’s defender blocked a shot and Colm reacted quickest to send a looping header over the keeper. Berties were confined to a few quick counter attacks, usually when Ballymoney pushed too many up for set pieces, but the ever reliable Chad, Harry, and Andrew dealt with everything. HT 4-0

The second half saw Berties starting strongly and they went about their football with a lot more determination.

Ten minutes into the second half PJ Mc Aleese put the game out of reach scoring a well deserved goal, this young player is always looking to create goals for his team mates, sometimes he should be a little more selfish.

Both teams continued to battle hard in midfield, and just before the final whistle the Bertie’s forward made Alistair Gardiner pull off a great save to keep another clean sheet. The boys won this game with their hard work, and slick passing and moving in the first half, its was an excellent all round performance.

Man of Match: Conal Doherty

U13s 5-8 Berties

A hard day at the office for the under 13s against Bertie Peacocks with their customary slow start putting them on the back foot once again.

Ballymoney were three goals down within the first eight minutes and it wasn’t until Seaan Elliot scored after 16 minutes that they showed any real desire to compete in the tie.

The first half ended 6-2.

Ballymoney were much more composed in the second half and played some good passing football. They resulted in two more goals for Seaan and a late goal for Ben Carson. Despite the result Ballymoney played well at times and had they converted their chances as well as the opposition would have won the game comfortably.

Man of Match: Seaan Elliot.

U14’s 1-5 Portadown

A 10am kick off for the far travelled Portadown proved no handicap when they left for home with three points in the bag. But it could’ve been a different story had the hosts taken their chances.

Efforts from Clint Bolton and Ryan McCloy were turned to safety within the first 20 minutes.

Portadown grabbed the first through Ryan Whyte, he curled home a superb free kick against the run of play.

The Ports punished the ‘Toon’ after a sloppy corner just before half time as Zac Wilson headed home a obviously well rehearsed corner with home defence left stranded for a cruel 0-2 lead at half time.

Despite the efforts of McCann and Kirkpatrick in midfield to get things going, everytime the visitors got a free kick Ballymoney were punished as Whyte again curled into the helpless Blair’s top corner for his second and the Ports third.

But as open play went there was little between the teams and McCloy was sent clear by McCann’s through ball but his shot was pushed onto the post with nobody following up for a tap in as a defender cleared off the line.

Another cheap corner saw Lee Bornis head home unchallenged for Portadown’s fourth. The hosts looked to have visibly given up, but some players showed good character and battled on as Deaglan Smyth and Kirkpatrick combined to release Ryan McCloy again, this time giving Devlin no chance as he scored his 8th goal of the season.

Jim Nedis tapped in the fifth from inches after Blairs point blank save wasn’t cleared to ensure they maintained second place in the league.

More valuable experience gained but coaches and players will have to up their game to prevent more miserable Saturdays!

Man of Match: Stuart Neill