BALLYMONEY UNITED 3
KILLYMOON RANGERS 1
Ballymoney are sitting nicely near the top of the table after this win and showed their intent right from the kick off and took the lead on 7mins when Mark Gillan made a penetrating run down the right and squared the ball back from the touch line for McKinley to blast past Brown in the visitors’ goal.
Ballymoney dominated this stage of the game and came close in the 20th minute when a goalward effort by Gerald Gillan was scooped over the bar from close range by Larkin. Ballymoney continued to pile on the pressure and came close on 35 mins when a Gerald Gillan free kick flashed past the visitors’ goal.
Ballymoney continued the second half as they had finished the first piling on the pressure and were rewarded on 50 mins when McKinley broke clear of the Killymoon defence and slotted the ball past Brown for his second of the match.
Ballymoney lost a bit of concentration and allowed Dunne to turn the defence and drive his shot past Moore in the home goal on 55mins. Ballymoney learnt form this lapse and regained control of the game with Dempsey rounding the Killymoon defence and blasted a great shot well saved by Brown who couldn’t hold the effort and the rebound fell to Gerald Gillan who made no mistake to score from close range.
Ballymoney continued to press and came close on 72 mins when a poor clearance by Brown bounced of McAuley and rolled just wide. On a rare Killymoon attack Calvin put in a dangerous cross for Walker to head goalwards only to see his effort cleared of the line by Dooey.
Ballymoney United: Moore. Dooey. McClelland. OgBoyle. McGarry. Mark Gillan. Gerald Gillan. Og O’Kane. McKinley. Larkin. Dempsey: Subs: Higgins. McAuley. Elliot.
* Glebe Rangers lost 1-0 away to Annagh United and remain anchored to the bottom of the table.
* In the league this week, Glebe are at home to Wakehurst and Ballymoney are away to Portstewart.
* Glebe Rangers’ lotto numbers 8, 12, 20. No winners. Next week’s jackpot £675.
* In the Ballymena Provincial League, second-placed Dunloy had a 5-1 away win against Carniny Amateurs in Cullybackey. Dunloy took the lead after Karl Fitzpatrick scored on the 10th minute and doubled it when Benny McGarry scored number two on the 15th minute. Fitzpatrick and McGarry both got on the score sheet again with goals on the 20th and 30th minutes before Karl completed his hat-trick on the 35th minute giving Dunloy a five goal cushion at half-time.This Saturday 12th October it is a top of the table clash as Dunloy entertain first-placed Brantwood.
* Ballybogey were knocked out of the Co Antrim Shield on Saturday away to Derriaghy, 3-1 after extra time. ‘Bogey went behind to a 85th minute penalty but Robert Beckett headed ‘Bogey level.