Clean sweep as Cambridge House brought to book by Dalriada boys

Dalriada travelled to Cambridge House in Ballymena to play an action-packed game of rugby. A strong Dalriada performance made them emerge victorious with a 33 – 10 win over Cambridge House.

Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 8:05 am
YESSSSS. Coaches and P3 kids,who enjoyed the Mini/Maxi event against Limavady on Saturday at BRFC.INBM41-14 027SC.

The game started slowly but then built up speed with some runs coming from the wingers Gavin McCaughern and Ben Lyle.

Both teams were pressing high up the field with Dalriada almost scoring in the corner about 10 minutes into the first half.

A blistering run from Robert Hunter complete with a fantastic offload to Matthew Kernohan meant that Dalriada had drawn first blood. In the middle of the first half, Dalriada looked strong in both attack and in defence with runs from Andrew Stevenson and Matthew Lockhart and big hits from Alan Montgomery.

A pre-planned move put Robert Hunter through a gap for a long run, ending up beneath the posts. An exciting build up with runs from Adam Stewart and Jack Horsburgh lead to the back line spreading the ball and finishing at the try line.

Wonderful kicking from Angus Johnston meant that Dalriada ended the first half with a comfortable lead of 19-0.

The second half started with more intensity coming from both sides through big tackles coming in from Jack Dowey. This endless battle looked like a stalemate until Dalriada regained possession and gave the ball out wide for Dennis Posternak to run and score a try.

Many substitutions were made but this did not affect the style of the play and Dalriada soon scored another try with players like Aaron Eymere and Matthew McConaghie contributing significantly. Excellent kicking from Aaron Sparks gave Dalriada a 33-0 lead.

It was clear that Dalriada thought the match was already over as was seen by Cambridge House going through a weak defence to pull a try back to make it 33-7. Dalriada’s discipline issues had finally caught up with them when they gave away a penalty which was converted but it was too late for Cambridge House to pull back a win and the match ended with the score at 33-0.



Dalriada Medallion travelled to Ballymena to play Cambridge House.

The visitors were slow to start but eventually recorded a solid victory by 41-14.

Dalriada scored from the kick off after the ball was passed through several sets of hands for prop Griffin Phillipson to score in the corner. The conversion was missed.

However, minutes later the spirited Cambridge House team bounced back to score a converted try after some poor decision making in the visitors defence. Dalriada regained the lead following a scrum against the head which resulted in centre Stewart Moore touching down in the corner. The visitors increased their lead when centre Ross Fallows chipped the ball over the home defence for number eight Jacob Butcher to win the race for the touchdown.

Just before half time the home team mounted an attack which the Dalriada boys did not deal with and as a result, conceded a soft try below the posts which we converted to reduce the deficit to a single point.

After a stern half time team talk, the Dalriada boys began the second half strongly and scored within minutes. Winger Matthew Scott made a great catch and set up a counter attack which resulted in Ross Fallows scoring a great try.

By this stage the Dalriada boys were playing their usual brand of running rugby with forwards and backs continuing to attack at every opportunity. This pressure resulted in further tries for Jacob Butcher and Ross Fallows. At this stage a number of Under 14 players were brought on and they acquitted themselves very well with flanker Luke Clements particularly impressive.

Dalriada completed the scoring when Stewart Moore chipped the defence and won through to score a try which was converted to give Dalriada a 41 – 14 win.

Next week Dalriada Medallion travel to Antrim and hope to improve on this performance.



Dalriada travelled to Cambridge House on Saturday to play their second away game in perfect conditions.

Jonny Diamond converted his own try early on for the perfect start after a charge down from Sam Quinn.  

Number eight James McCormick then showed some muscle to hand off two would be tacklers to score after a line-out steal.

Fullback Peter McConaghie gathered a kick well inside his own half and went on a mesmerising run, scything through the middle of the defence to score below the posts.

It was then the turn of wing Mark McNeill to make a line break following a trademark dummy and pass to the supporting Wilmot who scored below the posts. McCormick finished the half’s scoring with a dart down the blind side leaving the score at 33-0.

There was no let up from the Dalriada men in the second half with back rower Adam Sutherland showing great strength to force his way over for a score after some good work from the forwards.  Centre Marcanthony Wilmot then returned the favour by putting McNeill in for a try in the corner.

Dalriada now scoring at will, saw McCormick get his third and fourth trys in quick succession followed by another superb run from Sutherland to score straight from the kick off.

Another superb kicking display from Diamond put an extra gloss on the full time score of 66-0.