Ballymoney United Youth Academy round-up

THE latest results from the Ballymoney United Youth Academy are as follows:

BUYA U8’s v Carniny

Draw 1-1 ( Casey )

The under 8’s took on Carniny u9’s in their final game of the ballysally league and despite the physical difference in size between the teams they more than matched them in an excellent game.  Straight from the off the under 8’s impressed with flowing football and a competitiveness that stunned their table toppling opponents, 
 Some great work on the wings from Faulkner and Scott created chances for Keys who went close on numerous occasions without getting on the scoresheet. The midfield of Casey and Holmes looked composed on the ball and it looked only a matter of time before the boys took the lead, Carniny started to get back in the game and with some neat football of there own they went ahead with a well placed finish. Undeterred by the set back the boys kept plugging away but were unable to find the elusive goal and went into the break 1-0 down.
The boys started the second half strongly and again played some excellent football, Archibald was excellent at the back ably supported by the ever impressive Donnelly and it was inevitable that an equaliser was coming, it was worth waiting for as Casey found the top corner from 20 yards to bring the teams level. Both teams had chances for a winner but the game ended all square. An excellent display by the boys who have really pushed on over the past month.

Man of Match: Adam Faulkner.

Next Match:

BUYA U9’s v Limavady

Won 4-0 ( Stinson, McCollum, McLaughlin )

Ballymoney started this game at an amazing tempo with livewire McCollum setting the pace up front. He scored on 2 minutes and then immediately became provider for Stinson. Ballymoney missed a couple more early chances against a shell shocked Limavady. McLaughlin and Kelly worked hard in midfield and Limavady were left to one long range 1st half effort that White saved well. Patton and Kirk are beginning to form a fine partnership at the back with Kirk’s defending and pace being supplemented by Pattons awareness and passing. It was 4 minutes into the 2nd half when Stinson notched his second and Ballymoneys third. Limavady to their credit never gave up but it wasn’t to be their day as Mc Laughlin rounded off the scoring on 34 minutes. Ballymoney introduced Orr and Maybin but their time was cut short by a very early final whistle. This was probably the best performance of the season by the boys who are getting better week after week at the minute.  The boys now look forward to a final at the Coleraine Showgrounds against Carniny on May 11th. Hopefully before this they can secure at least a share of the league title over the next seven days.

Man of Match: McCollum.

Next Match:

BUYA U10’s v Ballymena Utd

Lost 3-1 ( Christie )

Ballymoney got off to a slow start and were quickly behind after some swift counter attacking football from a decent Ballymena side. Before 10mins had gone Ballymena were two in front and it was then the toon seemed to wake up. Not playing their usual free flowing game before half time money had wrestled their way back into game with a great individual goal from Christie. The second started the way the first ended with money unlucky not to be on level terms when Jacob Craig’s effort just shaved the post. The Toon had several other chances through McNeill, Christie and Mccomb but failed to convert and were caught on the break with a ball over the top to restore Ballymena’s two goal cushion.
In what is likely to be ballymoney’s last league game this was a disappointing end to their campaign and was nothing like the high standards this team has set in recent weeks. The management team will be definitely looking for a response as the Toon goes into their plate quarter final next weekend in Ballysally.

Man of Match: Joel Christie

Next Match:

BUYA U10’s Athletic v Portrush

Lost 4-0.

This was always going to be a tough cup game for Ballymoney as they were playing a very good Portrush team. The Toon were slow to start and this resulted in them going one down in the opening minutes 1-0. They were trying to get into the game but all the good things the boys have done all season wasn’t there, Portrush were attacking at every chance and the defence of Kelly, McGothigan were under a lot of pressure. O’Boyle in nets for the Toon pulled of some great saves in the game but could do nothing about the 2nd goal from a free-kick 2-0. Ballymoney came back strong for a spell and went close with a few good corner’s from McLaughlin which saw Morrison and Beckett going close but the Portrush keeper saved well. For all the boys tried they just couldn’t get back into the game and found themselves another goal down before half-time. H/T 3-0.

The 2nd half got under way and Ballymoney changed the formation a bit with Bolton going into defence and Beckett going up front, this was working better as the team started to play a bit better but as the first half had gone the Toon went another goal down 4-0. The defence of Kelly and Bolton were under a lot of pressure in the last 10 minutes but stood up strong and with O’Boyle in super form kept the match at 4-0. This was only the boys 2nd defeat of the season and need to come back next week strong and get back to the great football and work rate they have been putting in all season.

Man of Match: Ruairi O’Boyle, Padraig Kelly.

BUYA Colts v Northend

Lost 1-0.

The Colts had to play two matches this week the first of which was a league match against Northend. Ballymoney started the match well taking the game to Northend and where enjoying much of the possession. Against the run of play Northend managed to construct an opening and Ballymoney where 1-0 down. The lads battled hard on an attempt to level the scores and came close when the impressive Cathal Darragh`s shot skimmed the side of the post. Ballymoney showed a great work ethic with all seven players giving 100% but despite all their efforts the score remained 1-0.

MOM- Cathal Darragh.

Ballymoney Colts v Coleraine Academy Lost 2-1 ( Convery )

The second match was a cup game against Coleraine Academy, this match began in a similar vein to the first match with Ballymoney starting strongly going in search of the elusive goal. Unfortunately a simple case of not clearing the ball proved costly and provided Coleraine with their opener with Ballymoney keeper Carson having no chance. The boys kept pressing forward through the midfield trio of Convery, Stockman and Drain and with the help of industrious McKissick were creating plenty of chances. Unfortunately Coleraine doubled their league and Money faced a tough challenge to get back into the game. McLaughLin came onto the right and kelly moved up front and with the trickery of Darragh manufactured an opening which man of the match Declan Convery deservedly converted into the roof of the net with the last kick of the game

Man of Match: Declan Convery

BUYA U11’s v Causeway Colts

Lost 4-1.

Ballymoney had no game at Ballysally today so to keep them focused on next weeks semi final, they took on causeway colts who are older and much taller!
It was a super game of football played in great spirits. Colts ran out 4-1 winners, all their goals coming from set pieces using their height to good advantage .Ballymoney created plenty of chances in the first half playing good passing football but they didn’t convert any of their chances and missed a penalty.

Second half Ballymoney struggled when Conall come off and relied on the counter attack and to their credit they worked hard and were rewarded with a consilation goal. Enjoyable game of football from two very good teams.

Ballymomey u14,s 3 . 6 Glentoran u14,s scorers Ryan McCloy 1 Deaglan Smith 2

A double header of National League fixture and a plate 1/4 final in one game did,nt seem such a good idea for the wee glens as Ballymoney quickly raced into a 3 goal lead inside 20 mins then with almost everyone wanting a piece of the action in attack the basic rules of defending were ignored and the hosts received a lesson in passing moving with and without the ball as the angry visitors had things level again by half time at 3.3 Ball moneys first goal on 3 mins pleasingly came from a well rehearsed corner with Deaglan Smith arriving to power home a header from Conleth Oneills perfect corner then before the “wee Glens” had settled Ryan McCloy forced the defence into a mistake and finished past the onrushing keeper for 2.0 The shell-shocked visitors were all over the place now and when Bolton was upended after bursting into the box capt Deaglan Smith put his penalty into the top corner despite a great effort by the keeper for 3.0 Despite the eventual scoreline the defence were solid especially Smith and Chrissy Moore but with midfield not competing defensively the glens were allowed to get into full flow and a selection of goals from long range,headers and quicker reactions left Ballymoney looking embarrassingly weak and clueless as they rattled in 3 goals in each half without much effort to try and stop them.

REFS M.O.M Chrissy Moore

NEXT HOME Derry City Wednesday 6.30 Riada