Ballymoney United Youth Academy lose to Peacocks in nine goal thriller

editorial image

BUYA U10’s Athletic v Bertie Peacocks Lost 5.4 (Larkin,Patton2,Kirgan)

Going into this fixture Ballymoney team knew they were up against a strong team as their opponents were unbeaten in the league so far. However, from the start Ballymoney showed their intention that they were up for a match. From the kick off a combination of passes saw the ball flow through to an unmarked Larkin who slotted the ball past the keeper with precision to give the Toon a 1 goal lead. More strong pressure and good teamwork saw Patton take a corner kick that curled into the opposition net. The opposition were really rocked when further pressure from Athletic saw an exceptional long range shot from Patton hit the back of the net. With a three goal led Athletic continued to play some good football with chances for Robinson and Mc Caughan just going wide. The Little Ants then bounced back with a move that saw them get a free kick just in front of goal, however an impressive save from Reid in goals denied the Little Ants. Further pressure from Bertie’s saw Orr and Baird work hard in defence but further good moves from the Little Ants saw them get a goal back and from the following centre they scored a long range shot.

A couple of tactical changes at half time saw Kirgan and Campbell come on for the second half. Bertie’s pressure from the end of the first half continued and they pulled an early goal back and almost got another from a free kick that produced another fine save from Reid in goals. Some great football from both teams continued with a goal for each side. The Ballymoney goal was scored by Kirgan who chipped the advancing keeper neatly following an accurate pass from McCaughan. The score stayed at 4-4 for quite some time with both sides creating chances at both ends of the pitch. Campbell and Orr worked well in defence blocking many breaks by the opposition. Unfortunately, for the Toon Bertie’s Little Ants produced one more move that saw them gain the lead. Despite trying their best to get another goal to equal the match, with great shots saved from Kirgan, Robinson and McCaughan, the whistle finally blew for full time. The overall performance of the whole team this week was excellent and made this match a very entertaining affair for the parents and supporters from both sides.

* BUYA U13’s v Causeway Colts Lost 5.2 (Gillan,Munnis)

Ballymoney travelled to league leaders Causeway Colts on Saturday and got off to the worst possible start going a goal down after just 5 minutes.  This however seemed to wake Ballymoney up and they equalised with a great strike from Aiden Gillan.  The game then got very scrappy and with 10 minutes of the first remaining Ballymoney were caught with 2 sucker punches and went in at half time 3-1 down.  Ballymoney came out all guns blazing and after the best passing move of the match got back into the game with a really well taken goal through Callum Munnis.  Ballymoney then went all out for the equaliser and were unlucky not to get one.  Ballymoney conceded 2 late goals on the counter-attack.

BUYA U10’s v Carniny

Won 5-1

Dallas, Stinston2,Own Goal & McCollum.

On Saturday, Ballymoney took on Carniny, as they played their last match of the league, before the winter break.

From the beginning Ballymoney showed great pace and determination and within 3 minutes, an accurately crossed ball from Stinson, afforded Dallas to score Ballymoney’s first goal.

The midfield of Dallas, McLaughlin and Kelly were playing some fantastic football and 2 minutes later, it was Dallas who assisted Stinson to score Ballymoney’s second goal.

The first half saw Carniny pinned into their own half of the pitch, as Ballymoney created chance after chance, but with no reward.

A Ballymoney corner saw Carniny score an own goal, which now made the score line 3-0. Just before the half time whistle, Ballymoney showed purpose, and their great team work paid off, as Stinson achieved his second goal, this time assisted by McLaughlin.

The second half saw Stinson subsituted for McCollum. This half saw Ballymoney slow down, as Carniny kept strong and gave Maybin and Kirk more work at the back.

However, Ballymoney were to get another goal as McCollum netted the fifth.

In goals McMullan had to make a few great saves as Carniny were pushing toward the Ballymoney goals and on 35mins, Carniny’s hard work finally paid off, as they were rewarded with a goal.

This week the level of football played by all the boys was incredible. They should be proud of themselves and are ready for a well deserved rest.

Captain: Tony Kelly