Ballymoney United pick up valuable league points

editorial image

Kicking off in atrocious conditions Ballymoney kept procession for 45 seconds before gifting the visitors with a poor clearance letting McMacken in on goal with a curling shot parried on to the post by Coyle but unfortunately for the home team back into the path of O’Hara who dispatched the ball into the roof of the net for one nil in the first minute.

Shocked by this early setback Ballymoney dominated most of the early play and on the half hour McClelland put McLaughlin one on one with O’Kane in the visitors goal only for the latter to come out on top with a great save. Trying hard to get into the game Dungiven were still prisoners in their own half and with a gale in their backs, set up a rare attack in the 35th min resulting in a timely interception by Coyles who set up an immediate counter letting in McLaughlin who settled, made space and blasted past O’Kane into the roof of the net for the equaliser. Ballymoney came close in the 40th minute when a McClelland’s shot took a deflection leaving O’Kane stranded but fortunately for him wide for a corner. Ballymoney had a series of chances just before half time but squandered them all, letting Dungiven mount an attack with half time approaching. From a corner kick Ballymoney cleared for another corner before the referee asked Hugh Og Boyle to leave the field for treatment to a head wound. In the defender’s absence Dungiven took the kick which was not cleared properly, leaving the ball bobbling all over the place for McMacken to eventually give Dungiven a surprising 2-1 lead

Ballymoney started the second half dominating play and they equalised in the 47th minute when McClelland unleashed a fierce drive at O’Kane in the visitors goal, unfortunately for the keeper he failed to hold the shot. Gillan came close on 65 mins when he let fly with a rasping drive just over the bar. Gillan was again involved in the 75th minute when he threaded a pass through to Allen who saw his shot parried by O’Kane in the Dungiven goal but was followed up by Allen to give Ballymoney a much deserved lead. The pressure continued but no further goals were converted Allen coming close and Hugh Og Boyle having a goalward effort pushed round the post. Final Score: Ballymoney United 3 Dungiven Celtic 2