The PSNI say they have a ‘plan of action’ in place for a car cruise event planned for Portrush on Easter Sunday.
The event last year - which attracted scores of young drivers from the Ballymoney area - drew harsh criticism from Easter Sunday church goers, residents and visitors to the town amid claims of constant revving of engines outside church services and the town being brough to a standstill due to gridlocked traffic.
The issue was raised at Causeway Coast and Glens Council’s Environmental Committee last Tuesday night by DUP man George Duddy.
In an update, Council officer Aiden McPeak told members that Council had met with groups involved, business owners and the PSNI.
“We have made contact with those involved,” said Mr McPeak. “We are in a better place than we were last year.”
Mr McPeak said that plans included areas of Lansdowne being ‘cordoned off’ to ensure that no breaches would take place.
Commenting, DUP councillor George Duddy said: “There are still challenges around Easter Sunday church services. We don’t want this event to impact on church goers.”
Mr McPeak said that Council would continue to work with organisers on these issues.
He said: “The organisers have been co operative. They have linked themselves to a charity this year, so it is more of an event. We are making positive strides.”
Reports suggest that around 3,000 car enthusiasts may descend on the town for the event.
But residents and business owners are concerned the event could bottleneck the whole area and kill trade on one of the busiest weekends of the year for the town.
We contacted the organisers for a comment, but they declined to make any comment at this stage.