THE family of a man killed in an industrial accident at his home on News Year’s Eve, have been left in “complete shock”.
51-year-old Eamon Hassan was killed after he was trapped under a digger he had been working on.
The tragedy happened in a yard close to the victim’s home on the Townhill Road near Rasharkin.
Mr Hassan who had his own construction business leaves behind his wife, Ann, and children Natasha, Francesca and Saoirse.
“This has come as a devastating blow for them, they are just completely shocked at the minute and are just waiting for his body to be returned home,” a close relative said last night.
“Eamon was a very hard worker and he was very committed to his family and it will be very difficult for them. He was well known and well-liked in the Portglenone and more so the Rasharkin area.
“There is an investigation going on to find out exactly what happened.”
Emergency services were called shortly before 2pm on Saturday after reports that a man was trapped under a vehicle.
Police later confirmed that he [Mr Hassan] had died in the accident.
Councillor Tommy Nicholl expressed his shock and sadness at the death on New Year’s Eve.
“My thoughts and prayers are with the family and the family circle,” he said.
The funeral is taking place on Tuesday to St. Mary’s Church, Rasharkin, where Requiem Mass is being held.
Police have said the Health and Safety Executive is investigating.