The Moderator of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, Rt. Rev. Dr. Ian McNie, visited Finvoy Presbyterian Church on Saturday, 19th September to participate in a special service to mark the re-opening of the church hall and dedication of new rooms and a kitchen.
The Moderator was welcomed to Finvoy on Saturday afternoon, being no stranger to the congregation as it is only a few miles from his own church.
Speaking of the improvements Dr. McNie said, “It was an imaginative plan to extend the existing church hall; this new resource will be of tremendous benefit to the church and facilitate many different aspects of the congregation’s work. From the youth to senior citizens, everyone will benefit from this new resource.”
Speaking during the service the Moderator paralleled the opening of the extension to the time of dedication when Solomon’s Temple in Jerusalem was built, and encouraged the congregation to use the new facility as a resource o reach out to the local community with the Gospel.
The congregation of Finvoy was formed in 1688, with the earliest church built about 1690. The present church was opened in 1847, with a lecture hall added in 1875 and then a new hall was opened in 1963. The refurbishment and improvements included extending to incorporate a minor hall, new kitchen, small meeting room and an office, as well as updating the heating system and installing disabled toilets. It is hoped that these new facilities will be used by some community groups; including the Finvoy Young Farmers club and the local Primary School amongst others.
Members of the Finvoy congregation took part in the service and the church choir led worship. People from other congregations and the wider community came along, including the local MLA and Mayor.
Following the dedication of the hall by the Moderator, he spoke of his experiences so far in this role, including the recent visit to Malawi and his hopes for the year ahead.