Swords used in Armoy robbery

Female staff at a filling station in Armoy were threatened with a handgun and swords during a robbery on Saturday evening, a court has been told.

Appearing before District Judge Liam McNally at North Antrim Magistrates’ Court on Monday morning was a juvenile, who cannot be named, and 22 year-old Damien Moore, who are charged in relation to the incident. The pair both have addresses in the Belfast area.

A police officer told the court that cigarettes and cash were taken from the Bushview Filling Station in Armoy during the incident, at just after 7pm.

The constable said that the two masked men who entered the garage had ‘sword type weapons’ and that one had a hand gun.

The court heard that cash and a quantity of cigarettes were taken by the robbers and placed inside a Manchester United holdall. The robbers then made off in a Volkswagon Passat. The registration of the vehicle was noted by a witness to the incident.

The officer told the court that the vehicle was stopped an hour later in Belfast with the two defendants on board. The holdall was located in the boot of the car, and the pair were arrested.

A search carried out at Moore’s property located a hand gun. Both defendants were interviewed, but neither made any comment.

Objecting to bail for the juvenile defendant, the officer said that the teenager was currently on investigative police bail in relation to a similar offence, and that police felt that there would be a risk of re offending.

In relation to Moore, the officer said that he had ‘family links’ to the area and that there were fears he may interfere with witnesses.

A solicitor for the youth said that bail conditions could monitor any risk the police may have in relation to his client. Moore’s solicitor also stated that bail conditions could monitor any risk that police may have.

District Judge McNally released both men on bail, but stated that there ‘was a strong case against both defendants’.

The youth was released on his own bail of £100, plus a surety of £750. He was placed on a curfew and ordered not to enter any filling station or be within twenty miles of Armoy. Moore was placed under the same conditions, however he will be electronically tagged.

Both defendants will appear again before the court on January 12.