Coleraine man alleged to have carried out “extraordinarily serious assault”

editorial image

A coalman allegedly forced his way into his ex-partner’s home by breaking down two doors in the middle of the night just hours into the New Year before attacking his ex-partner in what a judge described as an “extraordinarily serious assault”.

Steven Robert John Nutt (30), of Castletoodry Terrace on Coleraine’s Cranagh Road, is alleged to have committed the offences at 3.30am on January 1 this year at Queens Park in the Castlerock Road area of the town, Coleraine Magistrates Court was told on Monday.

Nutt faces six charges including maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on his ex-partner; entering a house as a trespasser and inflicting grievous bodily harm; threatening to kill; criminal damage to her front door and bathroom door; and the theft of her mobile phone worth £700.

His sixth charge is one of common assault against another person on the same date.

A police officer believed she could connect the accused to the charges and objecting to bail she said she feared interference with witnesses and further offences being committed.

The police officer said it was a “totally unprovoked attack” which involved two doors being broken down to attack the victim.

The officer said there had been a report of a previous assault in 2011 but the same injured party withdrew that complaint.

The officer said Nutt had shown no remorse for his alleged actions in the January 1 incident when he had made no comment during police interviews.

Defence barrister Francis Rafferty said his client, who was brought into the court in handcuffs from the cells, has no record for violence and had indicated he would abide by whatever bail conditions would be imposed.

Mr Rafferty said the accused’s mother was in a position to give a surety and said Nutt could also stay at her address and there was also an alternative address at Articlave.

District Judge Mark Hamill refused bail and said it was an “extraordinarily serious assault”.

Nutt was remanded in custody to appear back at the same court on February 1.