OVER a quarter of a million people have been to the Giant’s Causeway since the new visitor centre opened in July, Moyle councillors were told last night (Monday October 8).
Graham Thompson, Project Director for the Giant’s Causeway, said the figure of 266,000 is from the period when the new centre opened on July 3 up to Sunday October 7.
He said the visitor figures were better than they had hoped for and were 15 per cent above target.
Mr Thompson said the old visitor centre at the Causeway used to employ 18 full-time staff but now there are 60 permanent jobs and during the summer there had been an extra 96 seasonal posts.
He said tourists had come from 131 countries.
Mr Thompson said the “vast majority” of feedback on the new centre has been positive.
Several councillors said there were complaints about the cost to get to see the Causeway.
Trust officials said November 24 is being earmarked as a day when entry will be free.