SPRINGWELL Running Club, in association with the National Trust, welcomed athletes to their annual Downhill Demesne Trail Race.
Last year’s winner, Allan Bogle (City of Derry) returned to defend his title, but on this occasion had to settle for second as Neil Johnston of the host club stole the headlines. The versatile youngster clocked 32:09 for the course, securing a notable win.
Allan followed in second place after crossing the line in 32:54 Stephen Prentice (QUB/Enniskillen Running Club) took the final podium spot in 33:56. Springwell’s Ciara Toner made it a double for the host club breaking the tape to win in 39:08; Julie Murphy (Lagan Valley) followed in 40:37 (2nd place), and Springwell’s Deborah Gilliland third in 40:57.
Springwell Times: Luke Dinsmore 34:56 (1st Male Junior), David Jackson 35:05 (1st M35), Ross Armstrong 38:41, Nigel Armstrong 41:44, Ailbhe Kendall 41:54, Suzanne Arbuthot 41:59, Alistair Bratten 42:28, Gary Kendall 43:10, Hugh Deighan 44:08, Catherine Bell-Allen 47:02, Erik Ausenhus 55:12, Darran Alexander 58:04, Michelle Rodgers 60:06 and Síle McGuinness 61:45.
Prior to the main event there was a junior 1 mile race.
Results: Secondary Girls - Hermione Skuce, Springwell 8:00; Secondary Boy’s - Cameron Brady, Unattached 8:23; Primary Girls - Lauren O’Doherty, Springwell; Primary Boys - Conor Kendall, Springwell 9:15.
* Phelim McAllister (Larne AC) and Fran McFadden (Springwell Running Club) won Saturday’s Rathlin Half Marathon.
Springwell Times: Richard Crown 1.29.30, Cathal McFeeley 1.37.28, Kenny Coulter and Brian O’Kane both 1.39.02, Betty Deighan 1:59:57.
* Springwell had a good evening at the North Coast 10K/5K on Saturday evening. Gemma Turley won the ladies race holding off the challenge from team mate Alison Rankin. Alison McAllister, Kay Hack and Michael Rankin also ran the 10K. Chris Denton won the 5K with team mate Rhodri Jones second.
* Victoria Smyth and Julie Virtue ran the Color Run on Saturday in Belfast Titanic Quarter.
* On Tuesday evening Neil Johnston, Conor Christie and Luke Dinsmore travelled to the Mary Peters’ Track for Athletics NI Open Graded Meet.
Neil won the 800m race in 1:59:27 followed by Conor in 2.05.901 and Luke 2.07.06.
* On Monday evening, nearly one hundred runners took part in the annual ‘Twin Peaks’ race in Cargan, which is organised as part of the Glenravel Festival.
Kevin O’Boyle (Ballymena Runners) continued his good form, to lead the field home in an impressive 15:20.
The ladies race was won by young Ballymena & Antrim star Rachel Brown who clocked 19:28 to finish just three seconds ahead of Catherine McLaughlin (19:31).
Springwell’s Gerry O’Doherty finished second male vet in17:47 followed by Alistair Bratten in 19:24.
* Springwell’s Alistair Shaw was one of 26 runners who completed Extreme North’s Quadrathon - an epic four Marathons over four days from Thursday 15 to Sunday 18 August.
The four marathons were located on the Inishowen 100 scenic drive. The Quadrathon got underway with the Culdaff - Kinnego - Moville marathon on Thursday which Ali completed in 3:56:44.
Friday was Moville - Muff - Buncrana which he ran in 3:52:38. Saturday’s race was Buncrana - Mamore - Clonmany - Culdaff which a tiring Ali finished in 4:07:54. On Sunday Ali completed the challenge by completing the Malin - Malin Head - Glengad - Culdaff run in 4:09:00.
Ali’s overall total of 16:06:16 earned him a fifth place finish in the Quadrathon.
Team mate Dave Sexton joined Ali for the Sunday run completing the 26.2 miles in 3:45:43.