BOWLS - Northern Zone Friendly Match - A friendly match between the Northern Zone and Mid-Antrim Zone has been arranged for Saturday 12th October at 2pm in the Ballybrakes Stadium.
The team is as follows: Rink 1: G.Steel, Loughanreagh, D.Gaile, St Mary’s, A.Cassley, Marian, A.Steele, Loughanreagh. Rink 2: A.Hunter, Finvoy, D.Reilly, A.Irwin, I.Ross, Loughanreagh. Rink 3: M.Shaw, Dunloy, T.Workman, Moneydig, N.Gamble, Loughanreagh, W.McCaw, Marian. Rink 4: J.Elder, CRFC, N.McCaw, 2nd Kilrea, James Martin, B.McAlary, Marian. Rink 5: M.Jones, Finvoy, C.Jones, Finvoy, S.Brewster, Ballinrees, J. Calvin, Ballinrees. Rink 6: W.Calvin, Ballinrees, U.Gordon, Ballinrees, J. Moore, Finvoy, E. Irwin, Loughanreagh. Reserves: J.McKee, Loughanreagh, N.McMullan,Loughanreagh, R.Hunter, Finvoy.
* CYCLING - Ballymoney Cycling Club are hosting a duathlon - two mile run, ten mile cycling, two mile run - on Sunday November 3rd. All proceeds to National Deaf Children’s Society. Registration 9am start 10am at Joey Dunlop Leisure Centre.
* GOLF - The turkey season began at Ballycastle Golf Club on Saturday with temperatures more akin to barbecues than Xmas dinner.
The good weather was reflected in the scoring with Liam McLean (14) leading the way in Section 1 for 0-14 handicappers with a super 44 points. Niall Hill (13) took second spot with 42 points and Gerry McGouran (13) was third on 40 points.
The Section 2 bird was won by Paul Brogan (18) on 43 points, Colin Miller was second on 41 points and another 16 handicapper, John McSparran, pipped three others with his 25 points on the back nine to bring his total to 40 points.
Sunday’s conditions were somewhat more breezy, but that didn’t stop Allan McCook (14) taking the Section One Turkey with 42 points, one ahead of Eddie McMullan (13) in 2nd place.
James Sloan (23) and John Morgan (23) both recorded 38 points in Section Two, with James’ back nine of 18 giving him the first prize and pushing John into 2nd place.
It was the second time in a week that John Morgan was pipped on countback as Sean McCullough and he had both 39 points in the Wednesday Open.
However, the highlight for Sean was his hole-in-one at the 13th which cost him a few pounds at the bar later in the day.
* BOWLS - Ballybrakes Community Indoor Bowling Club - The stadium has now opened for the winter season and the Leagues commence on Monday 7th October and the draws are as follows: Monday Afternoon T Mairs v N Lamont S McArthur v H Elliott R French v J Shields E Andrews v R McClure Tuesday Evening - C Stewart v S Mitchell R French v R Calvin A Scott v R McClure A McKillop v A McClelland Thursday afternoon - R French v M McCullagh R Calvin v N Lamont T Mairs v J Shields Thursday Evening - I McClure v I Lynn G Kelly v A Elliott G McCloy v W McCaw B Kane v H Elliott Friday evening R Boyd v H Elliott W McCaw v A Robinson S Mitchell v C Brogan A Elliott v C Stewart G McCloy (Bye).
The stadium is also open again this year on a Wednesday afternoon for “Fun Bowls” and is open to member and non-members so come along and enjoy the craic. Cost is £4 for non-members and £3 for members.
* GOLF - Kilrea Manor Golf Club - On Sunday 15 September at the Kilrea Manor Golf Club, the Club held a Charity Competition in aid of TINY LIFE.
The winner was Martin McCann with an impressive score of 44 points. The runner up was Pat Conlon with 37 points, edging out Eugene McCart into 3rd place and Jeff Marks , in 4th place also on 37. following the count back.
Twos were recorded by Brian Doherty, Eddie O’Kane,Jeff Marks, and captain Stephen Wylie.
The weekend competition on 21/22 Sept was won by Chris Forde with 42 points, and the runner up was Mark Eagleson with 41 points. Only one two was posted , and that was by Eugene McCart.
The weekend competition held on 28/29 September was won by Martin McGrath with a great points score of 47, leaving the rest of the field trailing. The runner up, a long way behind was Harry Boyle, with 38 points, but pushing Charlie Hasson into 3rd place on the count back,also on 38.
* BOWLS - Registration Week in the Bushmills and District League saw the start of the Charity Shield qualifiers with the results as follows: Charity Section A - Trinity 0 Benvarden 7 (1st Rink 7-11),(2nd Rink 7-15),(3rd Rink 2-17),(4th Rink 8-10); Ballywatt 0 Bushmills 7 (1st Rink 3-14),(2nd Rink 11-13),(3rd Rink 5-11),(4th Rink 6-11).
Section B - Dunluce Pres 4 Dunluce Parish 3 (1st Rink 8-9),(2nd Rink 9-9),(3rd Rink 8-8),(4th Rink 17-5); Armoy 5.5 Carncullagh 1.5 (1st Rink 6-12),(2nd Rink 13-6),(3rd Rink 19-3),(4th Rink 7-7).
* BOWLS - Ballymoney First Presbyterian Church Committee member and Bowling Club Chairperson Stephen Smyth is trying to start up a just for fun/beginners bowling club (open to all).
He said: “We have been running now for just a couple of weeks (starting at 7.30 on Thursdays) but would like to get a bit of assistance in getting the word out that we are welcoming people to join us for ‘just a bit of fun’ bowling.”
* MOTORBIKES - Japanese Motorcycle Club - The Northern Counties Section of the VJMC has resumed the monthly meetings at Coleraine Rugby Club after the summer break. The meetings start at 8pm on the second Wednesday of each month in the Event Room. Anyone with an interest in restoring, displaying and club outings are welcome to come along. There is no cover charge and the section often has motorcycle guests from past and present to give talks on their experiences on and off the track or a DVD evening.
The next meeting is Wednesday, 9th October @8pm, which will be dominated by preparation for the Ballymena Classic Bike show on 8th/9th November at the Seven Towers Leisure Centre. If you can help or offer any motorcycle for display purposes please come along.
Further details and information is available on the website www.vjmcnortherncounties.co.uk or contact Billy Bamber on 077 1093 1111.