Window blind and curtain cord safety

MANY homes within Moyle District may contain a potentially lethal trap for babies and young children.

Since 2010 there has been 13 children’s death across the U.K as a result of accidental strangulation from window blind and curtain cords & chains within the home.

Moyle Home Accident Prevention group wish to highlight the dangers of window blind and curtain cords and chains following the death of a two year old boy in Mayobridge near Newry in February this year as a result of becoming accidentally entangled in a window blind cord in his family home.

Moyle Home Accident Prevention group would urge parents to check all window blind and curtain cords & chains within their home to ensure that the cord & chain loop is well out of reach of young children and that the loop is fix to a cleat or safety device so that no part of the cord and chain loop is hanging down loose.

Parents should check that children’s cots, beds, highchairs and playpens are located away from windows with blinds and curtains cords & chains and should also check that other furniture is not placed close to a window with blind and curtain cords & chains to help reduce the chance of a child climbing and reaching out for the cord and chain and becoming accidentally entangled.

If you would like further information regarding window blind and curtain cord safety or you belong to a mother & toddler group and would like a blind cord safety talk please contact Moyle Home Accident Prevention Group, Ballycastle on Tel 028 20762225 or email hap@moyle- council.org.

If you would like to enquire about a Home safety check please contact Moyle District Council Home Safety Officer, David Adams on Tel 028 27660257.