North Antrim man dies following incident at Ramore Wine Bar

Richard Moore.

Richard Moore.

0
Have your say

The north Antrim man who died after apparently choking on food in a popular Portrush restaurant was former Ballymena Academy pupil Richard Moore.

Mr Moore became critically ill at the Ramore Wine Bar on December 11 and was treated by paramedics at the scene before being transferred to hospital.

News of his death on Wednesday sparked numerous tributes from the many people who knew the keen sportsman and Ballymena Saturday Morning League player with Wakehurst Star.

Ric, as he was known to his many friends, lived in Cloughmills with wife Jacqui and worked in the IT department at the Causeway Hospital.

His wider family circle is well-known in the Ballymena and Cullbackey areas.

Mr Moore’s father Kenneth had a long association with the former General Motor Works car dealership, particularly at its site on the Ballymoney Road.

Mr Moore was also well-known as a keen follower of the Northern Ireland football team and Ulster rugby team.

In a tribute posted on Twitter on Wednesday night, Wakehurst Star FC said: “Sadly, Ric lost his fight today and our sympathy goes to his wife and entire family circle. RIP General.”

Other friends tweeted: “Whenever you ever saw Ric, more often than not he had a big beaming smile on his face,” said one person who knew him.

“He was such a lovely, easy-going big fella and the almost freakish set of circumstances that led to his death make it an even bigger tragedy.”