A new organ for Bushmills Presbyterian Church was dedicated at a service attended by the former Moderator of the Church, The Very Rev. Dr. Godfrey Brown.
Guest organist Rev. Noel Williamson joined the minister, Rev. Dr Philip B. Wilson and a packed congregation for the ceremony.
The organ in question is the fifth in the congregation’s history.
It is a protege from the Allen Organ company in Macungie, Pennsylvania, and has been largely financed through the generosity of an anonymous donation to the congregation for which the Kirk Session Congregational committee and congregation are grateful.
The instrument’s range includes a 16 foot Diapson in the pedal to IV rank mixtures stops in the Great. There are also reed stops in all divisions and string celestes on the Swell.
Its voice comes from samples of Willis and Harrison pipe organs,emulating a fine pipe organ. Sound comes from four powerful speakers (each weighing more than 80lbs) which are housed behind the existing organ pipes.
The first organ was installed in 1924 at a cost of £86. The first organist was James Moore and the first hymn was sung in 1930.