Man in court charged with Ballycastle murder

Breaking News
Breaking News

A 33-year-old man has appeared in court charged with the murder of Anthony McErlain in Ballycastle.

Christopher Patrick Keenan, dressed in a sweat shirt and tracksuit bottoms, was in the dock at Coleraine Magistrates Court on Monday following the death of 48-year-old Mr McErlain whose body was found at a house in Ballycastle’s Broombeg View on Thursday night.

Detective Constable Alan Devine told the court he believed he could connect Keenan, of no fixed abode, to the charge.

Defence barrister Eoghan Devlin said bail was not been applied for.

Keenan, who is on benefits, was remanded in custody by Deputy District Judge John Connolly to appear back at the same court, via video link, on February 29.

A man (50) was still being questioned by police on Monday in relation to the murder investigation.

Last week Senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Gareth Talbot said: “Mr McErlain suffered a traumatic and frightening death. I initially described this killing as a heinous crime and I stand by that assessment.”

Mr McErlain, a father-of-two, spent many years living in the Republic of Ireland and also worked on the Channel Tunnel and had previously been employed with McKeague’s Concrete in Dunloy.

His sister Rosemary Morton said: “Anthony was very intelligent and worked all his days as a labourer.

“He helped build the Channel Tunnel and worked all over England, Wales and latterly in the Republic of Ireland.

“When the problems with alcohol really took over three years ago we brought him to Ballycastle to give him support.”