The parishioners of St Colman’s, Derrykeighan were in good voice as the Bishop of Connor, Rt Rev’d Alan Abernethy came to formally re-dedicate the church after extensive restoration.
The Bishop also dedicated many gifts and items of furniture which were donated for the new interior. In his address the Bishop described his amazement at seeing the church, a building restored to its beauty as it would have been in 1831. He challenged the congregation to find ways to use the church to welcome new members and to reach out to the community. The comfortable, bright and spacious interior can only attract people to worship. The congregation included guests from Ballymoney Council, former clergy of the parish, and professionals involved in the restoration project.
After supper in the Allen & Adair hall afterwards the Rector the Rev’d John Anderson reminded everyone of the extent of the work and the costs involved. The Bishop presented a watercolour painting of St Colman’s to the project manager, Mr Desi McCloy, on behalf of the Rector, Select Vestry and parishioners in recognition of all his hard work in the bringing everything to completion.