DCSIMG

Good news for Glebe scheme

FEARS that a major community facility for a Ballymoney housing estate was lagging behind other projects in the Borough have been dispelled.

Almost a quarter of a million pounds has been sought to construct a multi use games arena at the Glebeside estate and this week it was confirmed that a recreational development proposal has been submitted to the recent Social Investment Fund.

Planning approval has also been secured for the overall project developed in conjunction with the Community Association.

Working is ongoing with the Housing Executive in order to secure the additional land required to provide the ‘small sided’ pitch element.

The news will be welcomed by local loyalists who raised the Glebe issue when protesting outside the Borough Council offices last Monday night as part of a province-wide campaign at the decision by Belfast City council to restrict the flying of the Union flag to designated days during the year.

Some of the demonstrators confronted the Mayor, Councillor Evelyne Robinson about the Glebe scheme after she agreed to speak to them.

It was alleged that other areas had been getting preferential treatment above the Glebe – something the council strenuously denies and confirmation of the push to obtain the funding of £220,000 to start the project is underlines the council’s commitment to get things moving.

One loyalist said: “The Mayor listened to our concerns and promised to get back to us. We are happy to hear that plans have been submitted.”

Councillor Bill Kennedy said that areas such as Stranocum, Balnamore and Ballybogey had all benefitted from substantial spending on community facilities and that planning approval was secured for facilities in Dervock.

“£1.3m is being spent with £247.500 coming from the Rural Development Porgramme. A select list of contractors has been established,” Councillor Kennedy said.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page