Historic cars go on show in Ballymoney on Saturday

ON Saturday April 6, the Ballymoney-based Riada Pre-1950 Car Club are holding their Annual Car Show in the Joey Dunlop Leisure Centre, when a number of extremely rare models will be seen for the first time in the British Isles, if not in Europe.

Pride of place will go to a 1931 Coachbuilt AJS 2-seater with dickey which went priced at £210.

It was based on the Clyno ‘Nine’ whose parent company went into liquidation in February 1929 with a receiver being appointed.

The AJS, owned by John Smith, Managing Director of Smith’s Engineering, Ballymena - a former racing driver - the AJS - the only one of its kind in Ireland, will be accompanied by a Clyno, the basis for the AJS belonging to Philip McLean of Upperlands.

The second rare piece of motoring history will be a 1960 Goggomobile Dart owned by former World Stock Rod Champion of 1991 and 1992, Roy McKane of BRS Cars, Cullybackey.

This very unusual vehicle was built in Germany, featuring an Australian designed fibreglass body without doors.

It was powered by a rear mounted twin cyclinder two-stroke engine, which was either 300 or 400cc. A small luggage compartment was built into the nose. It went on sale in 1959 and around 700 examples were produced before production ceased in 1961.

Another jewel in the crown will be a 1927 Austin Seven ‘Top Hat’ which is owned by Alan Francey, a wedding and funderal director of Toome Road, Ballymena.

This car, which was bought new by Alan’s grandfather William, was in direct competition with the AJS saloons eventually putting the company out of business.

These gems will be some of the stars of the show which will include a large variety of Minis and Fords, plus some exotic motorcycles.

The Fords will range from a 1924 Model ‘T’ owned by the McKibben Bros, Cullybackey, to modern Zodiacs, an Escort Cosworth, Capris, Cortinas ans a 100E van.

Amongst the Minis will be a Riley Elf, a Wolsley Hornet and Coopers, while the bikes will include a 1921 ‘flat tank’ Sunbeam formerly owned by champion road racer Malcolm Templeton, now the property of William Wilson; a Douglas Aero; a 1938 500cc Excelsior Manxman; a 1952 Ariel Red Hunter; a 1946 Velocette and a 1959 Norton Cafe Racer.

From a novelty point of view, a Robin Reliant done up in the ‘Only Fools and Horses’ livery will make this show one not to be missed.