Foul play at Balnamore

'Campaign launched to stop dog fouling close to Balnamore School.
'Campaign launched to stop dog fouling close to Balnamore School.

RESIDENTS of Balnamore have joined in a bid to stop dog fouling in the village particularly in areas close to the local primary school and on football pitches.

North Antrim MLA Mervyn Storey has given his support to the campaign and Ballymoney Council’s Environmental Warden Karen Mitchell has also been drafted in.

Said Karen: “Over the last few years there has been a recurrent problem regarding dog fouling in Balnamore. In particular on the footpath in front of Balnamore Primary School, football pitches at Fulton Park Recreation grounds, Millicient Avenue and Taughey Road.

“Ballymoney Borough Council have joined together with the local community association, the Parent Teachers Association, the headmistress of Balnamore Primary School and indeed the local MLA Mervyn Storey in a bid to highlight the problem and hopefully shame those people who are responsible for failing to clean up after their dog to do so.

“On Thursday Morning 8th November representatives from each of the groups met for a photo shoot outside the Primary School. Mervyn Storey has given his full support to the campaign and will be helping personally to hand deliver letters drafted by Ballymoney Borough Council to all residents in Balnamore, dog owners and none dog owners alike.

“The Community Association and the PTA are going to be involved in the delivery of the letters within the coming weeks. I would like to point out that the majority of dog owners are very responsible and that we are looking particularly for a minority that are causing the problems.

“I would appeal to anyone that has information as to who these individuals might be to contact me on 02827660257. Any information given will be treated in the strictest confidence.

“Please note that if you are detected failing to clean up after your dog you will receive a Fixed Penalty of £80. Failure to pay this will result in the matter being referred to court.

“I would like to emphasise how dangerous dog faeces can be, it can cause blindness. This comes from a disease called Toxacaris which comes from the roundworm called Toxocara. This worm appears in dogs that are not regularly wormed by their owners. I would appeal to local residents to help us help the community in making the environment a safer cleaner place for everyone to enjoy,” said Karen.