Cloughmills: Pensioner stable after escaping house fire

A firefighter looks at the damage at the Cloughmills house
A firefighter looks at the damage at the Cloughmills house

An elderly woman is in a stable condition in hospital after her house at Cloughmills in Co Antrim caught fire.

The Fire Service was called to the scene at 7.09am on Monday.

A woman in her eighties has been rescued from a serious fire in her property in Cloughmills

A woman in her eighties has been rescued from a serious fire in her property in Cloughmills

When they arrived they found a detached bungalow alight on the Culcrum Road.

The lady, who is in her 80s, was already outside the house when firefighters arrived.

She was treated for the effects of smoke inhalation.

Three fire appliances from Ballymena attended the blaze and a firefighter also used a thermal imaging device to search the scene for other possible casualties.

The blaze was brought under control by 9.20am.

“Early indications suggest it was an accidental fire,” the Fire Service spokeswoman said.

She confirmed that an electric blanket “was involved” but added that it was too early to say definitively if it had caused the fire.

The householder was treated for smoke inhalation at the Causeway Hospital in Coleraine.

Meanwhile, a Fire Service spokeswoman confirmed that a chip pan had been involved in the house fire in Londonderry that left a man dead on Sunday.

She added it was too early to say for certain if it had been the cause of the fire in the Upper Bennett Street area.

The man was in his 40s and was found dead at the scene after the alarm was raised at 8am.

A police investigation into the fire is continuing, and politicians have asked any members of the public with information to come forward.