Brother of injured Ballycastle man appears in Sydney court

Brothers Patrick (left) and Barry Lyttle. Picture: Facebook
Brothers Patrick (left) and Barry Lyttle. Picture: Facebook

The Ballycastle man accused of a ‘one punch’ attack on his brother in Australia has been back in court in Sydney.

Barry Lyttle, 33 has been charged in relation to the incident, which took place in the New South Wales capital on January 3.

Appearing in court on Tuesday, Mr Lyttle was supported by his girlfriend, his father Oliver Lyttle and several family members and friends.

It is believed Mr Lyttle could face a higher penalty for the alleged assault on his brother if he is found guilty, as the case is being held in a higher court than was first expected.

During an appearance, Lyttle heard that the Director of Public Prosecutions is set to prosecute the case in the District Court, rather than the Local Court. This means Lyttle could face higher penalties if found guilty.

His brother Patrick, 31, had been in a coma after reportedly falling and banging his head during the altercation. However, their father Oliver, who was in court for the hearing, said he had awakened and was able to communicate.

The court also heard that Mr Lyttle’s aunt’s home was no longer a suitable place for him to live while on bail due to her ill health.

As a result, his bail conditions have been amended to allow him to move closer to the hospital where his brother is still being treated, the BBC has reported.

Mr Lyttle has been charged with one count of assault causing grievous bodily harm.

He is required to report to police daily. An application to have this reduced to three times a week was opposed by prosecutors and denied by the court.

His lawyer said he was anxious to view CCTV footage of the incident.

Patrick Lyttle had been travelling throughout Australia for around six months before his father and brother came to visit him in Sydney.

Mr Lyttle will reappear in court next month.