Ballymoney Council in court

editorial image

Ballymoney Borough Council is being taken to court - despite ceasing to exist at midnight on March 31st this year.

The legacy council is being prosecuted for breaching Health and Safety regulations for its employees and 
pedestrians in September 2013.

The case was mentioned at Coleraine Magistrates’ Court on Friday morning when defence solicitor Oonagh Mullan told the court that there were “a lot of issues arising” from the circumstances of the case.

Ballymoney Borough Council is charged with failing to provide a safe place of work on September 11, 2013.

They are also charged with failing to ensure a safe system of work on the same date and with failing to ensure the safety of a non-employee.

The former Council also faces charges of contravening a prohibition notice on February 1st, 2014 and failing to organise a safe workplace for vehicles and pedestrians on September 11th, 2013.

Ms Mullan told District Judge Liam McNally that Ballymoney Borough Council no longer exists and that the then Chief Executive and Director of Environmental Services no longer work for the new Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council.

She added that she had 
issues to raise with the PPS about the party being prosecuted.

Mr McNally said that there was “plenty of food for thought” on the matter of prosecuting a council which no longer exists.

Ms Mullan said that the case involved a depot but added that she was “at a loss” as to why the Health and Safety Executive was taking a prosecution a year after the the work had been completed.

District Judge Liam McNally adjourned the case until July 3rd for mention to see if there was any progress in the case.

If the issues were not resolved by that time, he added, the case would be listed for hearing on August 7th.